Old rubber

Tobias Rodriguez

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I have just bought a bundle of nos tyres, mainly for the 2 purple Vredestein Fortezza TriComp included. They look ok in the listing pics but it was a late night purchase and a gamble. Do any of you road guys have any tips for treatments to add a bit of life into the tyres before fitting? I know some BMX guys use Vaseline and other products to hydrate the carcass of the tyre if they are drying out a little. Any thoughts apart from don’t buy unseen perishable bike parts?

Thanks

I’ve heard that about petroleum based products, some have used coconut oil or cream. It’s been long debated before, I know. I won’t know if they are dry until I receive them, I’m just thinking ahead. They look OK though, here’s a pic.

Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    315.7 KB · Views: 25
You kind of take your chances with old tyres unfortunately. There’s not much you can do about it. Once the rubber oxidises and hardens there’s not much you can do about it. As GIGFY said, Vaseline will attack the rubber. Anything you put on them will only be cosmetic.

Yes agree, I guess they are either good or bad. Not concerned about the rubber in this case, more the carcass underneath. I’ll let you know if I’m worrying about nothing when they arrive.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back