Old frame with recent parts

PedroE8

Dirt Disciple
Hi!
I searched the website and I couldnt find a topic regarding this.
I´m thinking in getting a frame/bike from 1998/1999/2000 and I would like to know whats everyones thoughts regarding a old frame with newer / much newer / new parts (running gear, brakes, the list goes on).

I am making this question because period correct parts are starting to get hard to get and in decent condicion and with newer parts I would shed some weight and maybe would be more enjoyable to ride it.
Best regards.

Buy and fit whatever you like.

Not all new parts are better, the shimano low clamp mech tend not to last as long.

Hi and welcome

What you suggest is perfectly normal and is easily done as most stuff fits.

Just remember brand new shifting kit is often 1:1 cable pull as opposed to the older 1:2 so you cant mix them up. External BB fit old frames but just make sure you get the right standard. While headsets for older bikes are still widely available, brand new forks may be an issue due to the widespread tapered headtubes - plenty of second hand kit about though.

Bargain:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod133010

Go for it mate. Sometimes the older parts are better (I still think it's mad that front mechs lost their screw so run an ancient XT one), sometimes not.

Re:

Thanks for all the replys :D
The idea was to get a frame and convert it to single speed (if possible) to remove the front mech and put some older parts that at the time I wanted but since I was a student I couldnt afford them.
I just thought that since the name of this forum that older stuff mixed with new stuff was considered sacrilege.

I like period correct parts but some stuff is really outdated (performance / weight) and once its damaged or breaks its game over.

I'm doing it, but I'm not one who values originality above all else.

In my case because I want to take advantage of new tech, and apply it to a unique frame. I'm (very-very slowly, we're talking continental drift speeds here) building up one of my PRST-4 's with more modern bits. Lightweight wheels, tubeless tyres, dropper post, XTR 980 3x10 transmission, platform damped shocks, and carbon fibre 'anything-I-lay-my-hands-on' bits... All the stuff that was either unavailable when the bike was built, or could only be had at prices that were truly eye watering.

I didn't know about the riveting on front mechs though. I guess with the advent of reliable quick connect chain links, they thought the extra machining steps were superfluous.

quick links have been around longer, riveted front mechs are relatively recent and a pain. the 'quick' links are not always as convenient as they make out.

I have a 1998 frame that I want to go entirely modern on

Back