Northern retro MTB show meet June 2020 - update Page5

Re: Possible Northern show & shine meet ..... 2020

mk one":9t2jzxkf said:
I am going to volunteer for traffic duties or the like at the show, so was wondering about the bikes, will they be safe left while im out and about? im sure there will be someone about but didnt know wether to bring dogs/electric-fence type things :D

Mark

During the show there will be plenty of us on the stand to smile at people adoring your steeds Mark, but as a precation if you have any locks if could be best to lock them up for added security and peace of mind, although in all the years at the rally I think the issue of someone riding off on a show bike has been zero, night time I think self security on your tent/camper pitch is best, they do have security but they wont understand just how precious some of our bikes are.

for those who will struggle with overnight storage, we may be able to sort something out with a bit of local ferrying.

RBG

Re:

I'll probably do Sat and Sun, so could help with setting up the cake stall.

Do you know if gazeebo's are allowed on the show field, also can the bikes remain on site, or would we need to cart them away and set up the following morning?

I assume it's going to be pre '97?

al. :D

Re: Re:

al":25jdffnn said:
I'll probably do Sat and Sun, so could help with setting up the cake stall.

Do you know if gazeebo's are allowed on the show field, also can the bikes remain on site, or would we need to cart them away and set up the following morning?

I assume it's going to be pre '97?

al. :D

I'm sure a gazebo would be allowed al, as explained earlier though, I would recommend bikes were taken offsite for security reasons but I would see if I could source a storage space like a garage but if campers can bunch together we could always secure them all together near everyone.

night time I think self security on your tent/camper pitch is best, they do have security but they wont understand just how precious some of our bikes are.

for those who will struggle with overnight storage, we may be able to sort something out with a bit of local ferrying.

Ill try to secure some super long cable locks in the meantime

Re: Possible Northern show & shine meet ..... June 2020

Sounds splendid. I have 2 complete bikes now and hopefully some more by then.

Hmmm... if certain people turn up maybe I could remind them that I collected and stored their Orange for free for a year or more and maybe tap them up for a slice of cake or three.

Apologies in advance for the Iconoclassic comments, but these are my own personal thoughts, right or wrong, others may have felt the same, or not;

I genuinely felt a bit intimidated by the whole thing. It had indeed turned into some sort of ultra high end gathering, I was to have brought my battered old Zaskar along simply to show how long these things last but the air/ feel of the show had shifted. Then there was the seemingly total lack of support from RB towers, something that irked me in a way that surprised me - the site was wobbling and an independent show like this could have injected some life into the place. I had a lot of sympathy for Mr. Burning and his efforts despite my cowardly jibbing out - my thoughts were made well known on the Icono thread sometime ago.

And then there is Mr. Burning himself - 'lovely chap' I heard people cry but then there were some forum outbursts that left a bad taste (yes, I know, I'm Mr. Toysoutofthepram himself here!) - I wouldnt want to have anything to do with organised events again.

It took a heck of a lot of persuading to get me out to Mayhem (for which I'll be eternally grateful to all who nagged) so if you think of all those who just dont do crowds yet have some of the nicest bike collections of all grades, they will need to be reassured that its a bit of fun and nothing like the faux seriousness that had unfairly encroached Iconoclassic.

Re:

I’m sure there was camping last year only a very short distance from the arena, if there is moving the bikes back to camp retro wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Looking forward to seeing if this happens, a definite lack of all terrain bicycles in the past.

Re: Re:

legrandefromage":2utjy8bw said:
And then there is Mr. Burning himself - 'lovely chap' I heard people cry but then there were some forum outbursts that left a bad taste (yes, I know, I'm Mr. Toysoutofthepram himself here!) - I wouldnt want to have anything to do with organised events again.

I really dont want everyone to keep going on about the Iconoclassic like it personally scared them for life, I personally enjoyed it.
But its not iconoclassic its just a meet to show off your steeds, bring your bikes and show them off no matter how battered or pristine they may be, maybe I should change the title to something more suitable people can all relate to.

legrandefromage":2utjy8bw said:
they will need to be reassured that its a bit of fun and nothing like the faux seriousness that had unfairly encroached Iconoclassic.

its always been about fun to me, but everybodys idea of fun is different so it is hard to please all, lets all just turn up and see how much fun we can have.

longun":2utjy8bw said:
I’m sure there was camping last year only a very short distance from the arena, if there is moving the bikes back to camp retro wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Camping is litterally right next to the arena, they do charge for a pitch so have a look at the website to guage prices.

longun":2utjy8bw said:
Looking forward to seeing if this happens, a definite lack of all terrain bicycles in the past.

agreed, and thats why I think they need an injection of new blood, bring your dirt drop and bikepacking bikes to show the old roadie tourers ;)

I will be camping so obviously happy to keep eye on any bikes wanting/needing to be left overnight.

Back