New Project '59 Experto Crede

Yes -read a lot about Passivation of Aluminium/Heat treatments -Hiduminium, for one. Aluminium alloys tend to get harder with age, but if there's been a regular stress/knock/impact.earlier in their history, they can just go.

With the Maes bars that came with the bike, I like the GB stem, can't get it off the bars without cold spreading the clamp -given the age and unknown history of the bars tempted to cut them in half so they can't be used again by anyone. Steel of the same era, if not showing rust -probably have more trust in.

Always wondered about them...hmm -went internet fishing, and seen lots of different things folx have done. Bike came with dual shimano down tube friction shifters...did think about maybe putting them on the inner bars like the above pic -neat, but it's getting at them to change gears. Want the drops, the brake levers stay, but its finding a way of changing L/R close to a modern brake shifter lever set up...
Well it just so happens @non-fixie uses Campagnolo ergos to shift 5 speed. He builds classic Randonneurs/ tourers. He can advise you

Yes -read a lot about Passivation of Aluminium/Heat treatments -Hiduminium, for one. Aluminium alloys tend to get harder with age, but if there's been a regular stress/knock/impact.earlier in their history, they can just go.

With the Maes bars that came with the bike, I like the GB stem, can't get it off the bars without cold spreading the clamp -given the age and unknown history of the bars tempted to cut them in half so they can't be used again by anyone. Steel of the same era, if not showing rust -probably have more trust in.

Hmm, I didn't know old bars could have metal issues, I bought a GB Tourmalet for my Cyclone and like it a lot.
I'll just have to be careful with it. GB Toumalet is the same size/shape as a 1982 Holdsworth Avanti - my other bike.

I got a free GB Maes + GB Stem with my Cyclone, but couldn't get the stem off and ended up cutting the Maes in half.
Turns out the stem had a crack starting so that was a total waste, but I did use it for practising the centre pull cable mod.

IMG_0014.1.jpg

Hmm, I didn't know old bars could have metal issues, I bought a GB Tourmalet for my Cyclone and like it a lot.
I'll just have to be careful with it. GB Toumalet is the same size/shape as a 1982 Holdsworth Avanti - my other bike.

I got a free GB Maes + GB Stem with my Cyclone, but couldn't get the stem off and ended up cutting the Maes in half.
Turns out the stem had a crack starting so that was a total waste, but I did use it for practising the centre pull cable mod.

View attachment 866880
Such a pretty bike 😍

Back