New Project '59 Experto Crede

Thx Non-fixie, good vid too -think I can do something with all the spares lying around here. Smaller crank cog would help - 28 down from 32 sounds cheaper first option to try ;)

There's a guy in Newport who sets up bikes for racing and Velo track -did some wheels for me years ago...he'd be the bloke defo.

Righty -we're 100 miles of road in, and initial report on the bike...

Love it.

It's the tourer that I was always after.

-Takes a bit to realise you're not on ally/carbon -so the feel is slightly flexy, possibly fragile? Once you get used to that, it soaks up the road chatter really nicely over distance. A bit heavy, but you notice the slightly bigger wheels doing their thing, low rolling resistance makes up for that too. It got some 'Nold' mudguards too - 50's/60's Bluemels lightweight's...Now on Conti RideTours 32mm -they're really good for mixed surfaces, I'm impressed how they behave on the road. like road tyres -don't notice the tread at all, handle rough well too.

General observation, because of the straight top tube maybe, big 27 x 1 1/4" wheels, 32 rubber, the thing looks like a horse dwarfing a modern race/road bike, should possibly be measured in 'hands' rather than cm's or inches for accurate sizing.

Stem might be too short also adding to height and way it looks, pushing me back in the seat at times onto rivets -do with another 10-20mm, do have the longer GB Spearpoint it came with, it's a faf, so may change gear cable outers at the same time. Gear changes are still lovely, but if they can be made even cleaner worth doing.

Gearing is the biggy....

It's not too bad, 3 cogs front, but rear ratio, deal with small hills ok.. but am dreading the first mountain road I'll have to face, good few gradients in Wales.

Q? Is there something like a 13 -32, or more? 36/38 large rear cog setup for a 5 Speed Cassette available? Suntour? Shim/Campy? Pretty sure the long arm LX will deal with that -have the chain length.

Is there a pick and mix option for a screw on cassette?

Alternatively, can I cut a cassette, and weld on the larger cogs, is that a done thang?

View attachment 873896View attachment 873897View attachment 873899View attachment 873898
:)

I'm running a SunTour New Winner Ultra 6 13-15-17-19-24-32 freewheel in 121 OLD - 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone.

13-32 is the max range you can get in standard New Winner cogs, although a SunTour Perfect 38 cog will fit apparently.
I had to buy a couple of cheap freewheels off Ebay to get all the parts I needed and a
Park Tool chain whip + scaffolding pole to remove the cogs.

Edit: To be clear SunTour New Winner you can pick which cogs you want (within limits), here's the chart

SunTour New Winner 4.jpg
You do need to get the right cogs and spacers.

Last edited:
Well found Specialites TA 28T, and a smaller 26T chainrings... £32.50 (inc P+P) from a Mr Stigg on Ebay.

26T down from 32T on smallest chainring may be a challenge for that old Gen 1 Campy front deraillier? -Looking at it, think the chain will clear the lowest part of the shifting cage (is that what they're called? Dunno -seems to fit). That would certainly help -I'm not going to be cycling up the Northface of the Eiger, but it's Wales, place is gifted for sing-song and being lumpy.

You will run into sprocket clearance issues with larger than 34 tooth sprockets. From memory Suntour did an Alpine mech for the 38. Both are rare. Alternatively fit a drop link. Try SJS and Spa cycles for rings.

I'm running a SunTour New Winner Ultra 6 13-15-17-19-24-32 freewheel in 121 OLD - 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone.

13-32 is the max range you can get in standard New Winner cogs, although a SunTour Perfect 38 cog will fit apparently.
I had to buy a couple of cheap freewheels off Ebay to get all the parts I needed and a
Park Tool chain whip + scaffolding pole to remove the cogs.

Edit: To be clear SunTour New Winner you can pick which cogs you want (within limits), here's the chart

You do need to get the right cogs and spacers.
Thank you -superb info... I think over time this bike will just get more and more tweeked and refined, gonna be a loooooong relationship I rekkon. I'll start with front chainring, and then evaluate, work out what would suit my riding at the rear - early days at the mo, settings are rough, but want to dial it right eventually.

Have a 14 smallest rear -so already know that could be a 13, and be more useful as a result -run out of gear on downhills. Need to be selective, so few rear gears each has to be right ratio for a type of ride -

Crankset is 52/42/32 -but as said not sure the front cage will deal with increases in both directions? I can make stuff too that don't exist, like a longer cage if needed.

Thank you -superb info... I think over time this bike will just get more and more tweeked and refined, gonna be a loooooong relationship I rekkon. I'll start with front chainring, and then evaluate, work out what would suit my riding at the rear - early days at the mo, settings are rough, but want to dial it right eventually.

Have a 14 smallest rear -so already know that could be a 13, and be more useful as a result -run out of gear on downhills.
Crankset is 52/42/32 -but as said not sure the front cage will deal with increases in both directions? I can make stuff too that don't exist, like a longer cage if needed.
I'm running 13-32 rear and 52/36 Cyclotouriste on the front
SunTour Cyclone II GT rear derailleur shifts it fine, but in theory is at its limit I think.
And SunTour Cyclone 1 on the front because it's got a cable stop.

I got my new chain rings from Velo Duo: https://www.veloduo.co.uk/collectio...hain-rings-inner-outer?variant=31401309110329

Similar set up Glug -28 rear is my biggest/ but 32 front to compensate. 13- 32 be good.. the LX is so long legged sure it can cope with a wide range of ratios.

Latest posts

Back