New Project '59 Experto Crede

Didn't know that was a thing -
But may have done something similar without knowing...

Ran out of gear outer cable,
...so used the wider lined brake outer cable everywhere -because to my simple head there'd be less friction.

Didn't know that was a thing -
But may have done something similar without knowing...

Ran out of gear outer cable,
...so used the wider lined brake outer cable everywhere -because to my simple head there'd be less friction.
unnamed.jpg
Gear housing (or compressionless housing) has longitudinal rifled strands that when compressed form a very rigid structure - hence are great for index gears that rely on precise adjustment.

Brake housing is sprial wound and although very tightly wound it is effectively a long spring so when you apply force to it it'll compress more than the gear housing which is not great for accurate gear changing.

Think may have gone the wrong way there ! Ooops.
Steer left to go right type thing :) . . .

Think the extra room in the inner is playing me, certainly work for a time until the cable wears through at different pressure contact points of the internal bends to metal... silly really, was 1" short on the compression-less gear outters to stretch from bars to frame. THat's when my muppet brain went into gear and thought to myself -why not use Brake outers?...I'll get some more next payday. IMG_2097.jpeg IMG_2092.jpeg IMG_2094.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2101.jpeg
    IMG_2101.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2099.jpeg
    IMG_2099.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2098.jpeg
    IMG_2098.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
+1
Another one saved :)
GIFFY! Thx mate.
you guys really honestly helped keep this ol' bedframe on the road...and it its honestly loverly to ride, modern stuff works sooo well makes it a joy.

Stoopid thing is, set it up gears with non-compression outers initially, but wanted the bars/stem higher -and that extra 1" made the cables look stretched -so swopped them over...hey ho :rolleyes:

Last edited:
GIFFY! Thx mate.
you guys really honestly helped keep this ol' bedframe on the road...and it its honestly loverly to ride, modern stuff works sooo well makes it a joy.
Stoopid thing is, set it up gears with non-compression outers initially, but wanted the bars/stem higher -and that extra 1" made the cables look stretched -so swopped them over...hey ho :rolleyes:
Not a massive job to change them. I buy outer cable, ferrules, crimps and inner cables in bulk now.

Righty -we're 100 miles of road in, and initial report on the bike...

Love it.

It's the tourer that I was always after.

-Takes a bit to realise you're not on ally/carbon -so the feel is slightly flexy, possibly fragile? Once you get used to that, it soaks up the road chatter really nicely over distance. A bit heavy, but you notice the slightly bigger wheels doing their thing, low rolling resistance makes up for that too. It got some 'Nold' mudguards too - 50's/60's Bluemels lightweight's...Now on Conti RideTours 32mm -they're really good for mixed surfaces, I'm impressed how they behave on the road. like road tyres -don't notice the tread at all, handle rough well too.

General observation, because of the straight top tube maybe, big 27 x 1 1/4" wheels, 32 rubber, the thing looks like a horse dwarfing a modern race/road bike, should possibly be measured in 'hands' rather than cm's or inches for accurate sizing.

Stem might be too short also adding to height and way it looks, pushing me back in the seat at times onto rivets -do with another 10-20mm, do have the longer GB Spearpoint it came with, it's a faf, so may change gear cable outers at the same time. Gear changes are still lovely, but if they can be made even cleaner worth doing.

Gearing is the biggy....

It's not too bad, 3 cogs front, but rear ratio, deal with small hills ok.. but am dreading the first mountain road I'll have to face, good few gradients in Wales.

Q? Is there something like a 13 -32, or more? 36/38 large rear cog setup for a 5 Speed Cassette available? Suntour? Shim/Campy? Pretty sure the long arm LX will deal with that -have the chain length.

Is there a pick and mix option for a screw on cassette?

Alternatively, can I cut a cassette, and weld on the larger cogs, is that a done thang?

IMG_2120.jpeg IMG_2122.jpeg IMG_2126.jpeg IMG_2123.jpeg
:)

Last edited:
Older 5-speed freewheels with cogs up to 34T can be found, but that may involve a fair bit of time and/or money.

New ones seem to be limited to 28T for some reason.

Building your own freewheel with your favorite cogs is certainly an option. Check out this video from RJ The Bike Guy:

Finding the right combination of freewheel body and cogs may take some effort. Check with local bike shops that have been in business for a long time. Talk to the oldest person you can find in there. ;)

Another thing you may want to do anyway to lower your gearing is get a smaller inner ring for your cranks. 26T is the smallest that will fit, and those are available new.

Back