new here just picked up a nice old bike

Re:

Denomerdano you seen the bike? On craigs? It was a 2 hour old ad! You must be like me, always looking and seeing whats for sale haha
I wrote the seller and said if they deliver it I have cash here. They were here in 30 minutes and I handed them the money and rode the bike into my apartment. I was suspicious of the pictures of the bike as it showed flowers in full bloom in the background. People will put pics up that are years old when the bike was in good shape. It turns out the bike was much better than I imagined. Bottom bracket is smooth and tight. Brakes are excellent and hubs spin freely. I beleive by the minimal signs of wear this bike might have seen a total of 3 months use in the past 23 years. I ended up with it for 95 dollars. Its a better bike than any of my other 4. Your in north van? I am in east van. Cheers

Re:

Hey thias. I love the look of suspension. I had a set of manitous in around 1999 on a used bike I bought. Always wanted another pair. I dont like the looks or strenght of ridgid forks. My background was bmx and I moved onto mtn bikes after I "grew up" haha..tired of my knees hitting my chest haha. I bent a few pairs of 20 inch bmx forks and I never trusted the taller ridgids because of this.

Re:

Good score indeed.
I am in east van, hastings sunrise to be exact.
I ride mt seymour with my rigid giant often. Might do UBC trails soon.

Another East Van man here. I'd have bought it for the fork if I'd seen the advert! Plenty of people spend half their lives searching CL so I'm surprised it lasted as long as 2 hours. I've been known to hit 'refresh' having something I like pop up, email the poster immediately only to find that someone is already on their way to buy it!

Great looking bike and I had one of those pumps back in the day. I'd be interested in it if you don't want it?!

Re:

hey, another couple retrobikers in vancouver.
you guys have seen my post for toxik harald's
bike show on may 4th. come on out and say hi.
bring your bikes too. there is a ride in the afternoon.
hope to see you there.
roy

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=291724

Re:

Im near 1st n commercial myself. Ive been to ubc endowment lands a few times but I mainly just commute by bike nowadays.
When I seen the ad and wrote them saying if you can deliver I have cash. I took the chance just for parts like the fork. I was pleasantly surprised on the condition of the bike.
the pump is part of the history of the bike and id like to keep it all together. Sorry dont want to sell it at this time. I will keep it in mind if I ever do decide to sell tho.
hey roy the bike meet sounds good I will tell my friends and try and make it for sure. I have about 4 or 5 friends in the neighborhood that always ask me to go to stanley with them and a few that commute to work like I do. I will spread the word.
Thanks for the invite.

I rode the nishiki to work today and I didnt do a single thing to it. It got me to work and back and besides the fork feeling like they are filled with spongy concrete it brakes and goes thru the gears like a champ. A girl at work that hasnt ridden a bike in years even asked to try it...haha its pretty cool for a $100 bike. Some people buy paintings I buy bikes. Artwork I can ride.

Nice.
But please! Service the fork. It deserves it.
And like this, it should stay a work of art.

Greetings
Matthias

I actually found a website with a rebuild kit and pdf on how to do it properly. Cant remember the exact name but I got it bookmarked for future referance. Now I have both fork I wanted and its time to slowly build. Going to bring vertex to work and start stripping it down with the parts cleaner. Im done buying until I put my 03ish vertex and 95 rockhopper back together with their orig parts.
cheers

Back