New Breezer MTB's

Just stumbled accross this thread and some of the reactions to the new bikes have made me bloody angry- I reckon a few of you owe Mr Breeze an apology....
To my mind the original Breezers looked similar to all the other bikes on the block, set aside by the distinctive paint, and the build quality and ride. That made me want one then, and it does the same now.

To criticise these things in a modern Breezer- isn't that just saying that the old bikes were just copies of the mainstream brands of the day?

Its not a reproduction of a classic Breezer- its a 2010 Breezer, just as I imagine Joe would be making now had he stayed in the Mtb market.

Good to see you back Joe and massive congratulations on the new rides, if I was in the market for a hardtail I'd be beating down your door...

Just stumbled accross this thread and some of the reactions to the new bikes have made me bloody angry

simmer down lad, this is "RetroBIKE" after all, the mild aversion to all things modern goes right to the top. This much is obvious having read the "show us your BREEZER" thread...

Since when has liking one thing required the dislike of another, bordering on venomous in some of those posts?

There's much anti-modern feeling developing on here, its not pleasant to read- to the point that I rarely visit or contribute to the site and am seriously considering selling the Dyna...

This is exemplified by being told I was unwelcome to join a recent ride as said Dyna was not in a rideable state...

I think these new Breezers look great - and have been advised by someone who has seen thme in the Flesh they look a quality item. Hopefully see them at BR live :D

retroklein":vuglr50e said:
Just stumbled accross this thread and some of the reactions to the new bikes have made me bloody angry

simmer down lad, this is "RetroBIKE" after all, the mild aversion to all things modern goes right to the top. This much is obvious having read the "show us your BREEZER" thread...

Rubbish. Myself and (some) of the mods own both modern and retro bikes. Mostly I like bikes - an intrerest in modern doesn't mean you can't like retro and vice versa.

People are entitled to their opinion and have expressed it on this thread. Unless people start spouting especially vile rubbish we generally let it stand. I don't much care for your post but it's still here.

Davedownhill":vuglr50e said:
Since when has liking one thing required the dislike of another, bordering on venomous in some of those posts?

There's much anti-modern feeling developing on here, its not pleasant to read- to the point that I rarely visit or contribute to the site and am seriously considering selling the Dyna...

This is exemplified by being told I was unwelcome to join a recent ride as said Dyna was not in a rideable state...

See what I've written above.

To add to which this site is retrobike so don't be surprised if the focus is on older stuff. There are numerous general bike forums - only one retrobike. Knowing a lot of the MacRetro lads I doubt you were made 'unwelcome'. Friendly banter is to be expected though ;)

isn't it true that
the focus is on older stuff
is a mild aversion?

and yes people are entitled to their opinion

thanks Guv'nor

anyhow... to stay on topic, the new Breezer bikes look good, but I wouldn't buy one personally.... it's fascinating reading your posts Joe, your tales from back in the day and the creation of the original Breezers, most interesting.... peace and good luck

Looking at my post, I stand by what I wrote as most £3K bikes seem to be ridden by 40 somethings who pack them neatly into Volvo XC90s.

But the fact that Mr. Breeze has come on here, wow!

If other brands made a bit more effort maybe....?

legrandefromage":3geywzmh said:
Looking at my post, I stand by what I wrote as most £3K bikes seem to be ridden by 40 somethings who pack them neatly into Volvo XC90s.

But the fact that Mr. Breeze has come on here, wow!

If other brands made a bit more effort maybe....?

It's like the old car analogy, by the time you can afford a Ferrari you don't have the skill or reflexes to drive it as it should be.

does anyone else think these Breezers and a really good proportion of modern bikes just look too "busy"

too much going on with the decals, too many logos, stripes on the wheels and tyres, looking at the bike in the photo of the second or third post here makes my eyes hurt after a time, just my two pennies worth of course .

dont want to crash around and offend anyone.

LGF- I fully agree with the sentiment behind your post- I didnt take that as anything against Breezers, but I'm not sure I agree that the trail centre/bodyarmour/Volvo crowd will ever see past the mainstream brands in the shiny Evans showroom though? Gotta say though I'm very close to that bracket, but fit a 4k+ machine into a clio! I'd like to think I justify it though!

John, thank you for your post- I just think that in some places postings do go beyond 'mild aversion', and the offline comments about moderns being unwelcome have surfaced again! No doubt the online denial will reappear too...

retroklein":atrc5jhs said:
does anyone else think these Breezers and a really good proportion of modern bikes just look too "busy"

too much going on with the decals, too many logos, stripes on the wheels and tyres, looking at the bike in the photo of the second or third post here makes my eyes hurt after a time, just my two pennies worth of course .

dont want to crash around and offend anyone.

You're doing swell.

Some modern bikes do indeed look like Nascar racers. Although one might say the same of some team yetis from the mid 90s (nothing new under the sun etc.). These Breezers don't. A good modern take on a classic paint scheme which itself was a throwback to an earlier time. Are we looking at the same picture?

Back