Need some help dating this Stumpy

Gruff

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Ok i got this frame as my next project. It came as you see it in the pics and i assumed it was a '94/'95 but as i was taking pics and measurements of the decals to send to Gil i thought i would double check.

I am confused as all the ones in the catalogues have the "Stumpjumper" decal on the downtube and the "Specialized" on the top tube.
Mine are the opposite?
It has a noodle for the brake cable route so canti only, 26.8 seat tube and an inch and an eighth head tube.

So what year is it?

Re:

Is it 1" or 1 1/8"?

I think the rear brake noodles were 93-95

I think they went to 1 1/8" in 95 but might be wrong there

Check for a serial number by the bottom bracket or rear dropout. It would have to be post 93', because mine has a 1" fork.

Re:

serial number is : 92G1787

Had been told that specialized serial numbers don't mean anything date wise.

The serial number for mine is: 93 S 5742-6 L

Year: June 1993
Make: Specialized
Size: Large
5742th one built

I'm not sure what yours means, mine's also an M2.

Looks like it's a '93 then - frame just manufactured in 1992 so probably an early one, but '93's didn't have the canti arm on the rear, & had 1&1/8" headtube and 26.8 seatpost.
The '93 was available in some places in 'Plum Burgundy' colour - but I'd hazard a guess that one's been repainted and had later decals added.

It's a '93 Stumpjumper FS.

The 92G serial number is a frame built in 1992 for the '93 model year. The FS ("Future Shock") model had a 1 1/8" headset in '93, while the rigid model kept a 1" steerer.

It's been repainted.

Back