My 'new' old 'gas-pipe' Raleigh Pursuit

Re:

Like it, like it a lot, my kind of build.

That's an impressive paint finish, never tried clay bars before.

Polishing up old components can be quite therapeutic, although once ya start, can get out of hand. . . there's always another bit . . . :roll:

I found using ultra fine wire wool is a good way off cleaning the old chrome up before the metal polish, if you get the stuff used for woodworking its not to harsh.

Replacing some of the tired nuts and bolts, go for stainless steel, bit of Autoglym Metal Polish and a felt polishing mop on a Dremel, 30 seconds and you have a mirror polished finish, looks as good as chromed stuff and won't corrode. Apex Fastners in Slough is a gold mine for 1 of 'these' or 2 of 'those' stainless nuts, bolts, washers, etc. but any good fastener supplier should be able to help.

Looking good.

Thanks everyone :)
I do intend to replace the nuts and washers with stainless steel and I have quite a good supplier nearby who I've used when restoring cars in the past. I reckon it's the small details that will make the difference in the end.
Cheers!

Re:

Awesome build so far! Literally receiving mine in a couple hours.. :D All logos point to it being a Pursuit, but front forks aren't chromed like yours.. Sadly mine won't be an historically accurate version as it's going to end up as a single speed I can just chuck in the van for getting to work on time... Nice to see what it could look like if I were so inclined. Keep up the good work! ;)

Re:

Just wondering whether you used a fine wire wool on your rims before the polish? There's a fair bit of surface rust on the inside of my rims and not sure what's the best way to approach removing it..

Latest posts

Back