My 'new' old 'gas-pipe' Raleigh Pursuit

I think the rims are just regular 700c. Any narrowish tyre for that size will fit. I think some are marked as 28". But thats to do with other sizes of tyres and rims that are in the 700 series. Sheldon Brown has an article about rim sizes. I think its also where 29" mtb wheels come from, wide high profile tyres on 700 series rims. The have a diameter of 29", but the rims 700, thick tyre makes the size up. Old dutch bikes have wide tyres on 700 rims, so they have 28" diameter, and they just left the 28" marking on tyres, tho narrower ones dont have that rolling diameter

alecw35":36p0n30n said:
I think the rims are just regular 700c. Any narrowish tyre for that size will fit. I think some are marked as 28". But thats to do with other sizes of tyres and rims that are in the 700 series. Sheldon Brown has an article about rim sizes. I think its also where 29" mtb wheels come from, wide high profile tyres on 700 series rims. The have a diameter of 29", but the rims 700, thick tyre makes the size up. Old dutch bikes have wide tyres on 700 rims, so they have 28" diameter, and they just left the 28" marking on tyres, tho narrower ones dont have that rolling diameter

Thank you, that is interesting, the sizing chart is terrific. I was told by my LBS, that this was incorrect when I put it to them and not to use 700c on 28 inch rims, so I didn't waste money trying. I hadn't seen this chart before and it looks pretty conclusive.
Thank you again :cool:

I've got this ones 'brother' hanging in my garage, awaiting that day when I find myself with nothing better to do...

For reference, the brake cables were silver, as was the bar tape.

The original saddle would have been a Selle Royal 'Dolphin' finished in Black Suede, with a chrome seat post

MrW":3tr4ig93 said:
I've got this ones 'brother' hanging in my garage, awaiting that day when I find myself with nothing better to do...

For reference, the brake cables were silver, as was the bar tape.

The original saddle would have been a Selle Royal 'Dolphin' finished in Black Suede, with a chrome seat post

Nice one, thanks for that :)
Mine has the original saddle on at the moment...though there isn't much suede left on it...and it smells :!:

Might I ask how you go about polishing with Autoglym metal polish ?
I plan on disassembling my Carlton and give it a good clean before l'Eroica and have it shining as new.

anidel":299lh2u1 said:
Might I ask how you go about polishing with Autoglym metal polish ?
I plan on disassembling my Carlton and give it a good clean before l'Eroica and have it shining as new.

Of course. Ensure you purchase the small shiny tube, a bit like toothpaste. The other in the white plastic bottle isn't quite as good. Just apply with a soft cloth and rub. My rims were pants, so I had to spend hours. Buff with a cloth...job done.

Thanks guys...it's turning into a labour of love. My missus certainly thinks so, as it's now part of the kitchen!
The History Man, that's lovely, thanks for the link.....glad to see I'm not the only mad one in the world. I think this site confirmed that for me....and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of bikes with original parts on.
I've had exotic stuff before, but also really like the simplicity and looks of the lower-end parts of this era, even though some of it is a bit crap and doesn't work very well....I don't intend to be taking this bike over the Tourmalet anytime soon!
There's something really satisfying about restoring, rather than just throwing money at ebay upgrades without thought.
I'm near to Ashby by the way.
Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back