My 'new' old 'gas-pipe' Raleigh Pursuit

Re:

So, I've been working hard the past few days, sorting the rear hub, trueing the rims and finally getting to grips with the paintwork.
It was pretty filthy, so I've 'deep cleaned' it with a Meguiars Clay Bar. These are great, I've used one for some years on my old campervan and they are really successful at getting contaminants out of the paint. Amazing how much crap came off. Then I flatted with some very fine wet and dry and finished with Halfords terrific and cheap own-brand polish. It does need 'touching-up" here and there, but I'd rather this and it remain original paint as much as possible than respray.
I've also, stripped, lubed, polished and reassembled all the original and almost seized together brake parts, though I'm going to replace some of the tired nuts.
I think I'm getting somewhere now!

Re:

I've done quite a bit, this last week or so.
Bought a decent crank puller and doused the crank and seat post in some of that 'oven brite' (?) stuff from the pound shop. It worked and it didn't....worked on some bits, such as the chainwheels, but the crank arms and post came out really rubbish and I ended up flatting with wet and dry for ages. The anodising had set solid in places and gone almost like paint in others. Not sure why, but I reckon the anodising on the Custom crank arms is much thicker and may be a different type. Anyway all is pretty good now.
I wasn't sure what brake lever route to go down, but have made a decision about that after picking up some original 'suicide' levers from the local boot sale for 2 quid still with the Weinmann caps on the pivots...well chuffed :cool: So I'm going to restore closer to original than planned and get some tan wall tyres too, as I don't reckon I'll do much filthy lane hacking on it through winter once it's done.
Oh and I've done lots more polishing of sparkly bits too, possibly a mad amount considering the level of equipment on the bike...but I'm really enjoying it!
Cheers all :)
URL=http://s879.photobucket.com/user/andy1969-2010/media/Brakeleverspolished_zps12021d5d.jpg.html]
Brakeleverspolished_zps12021d5d.jpg
[/URL]

Back