My early 1990's Raleigh Serengeti

Re:

The cx pro are marketed as cyclo cross tyres. They give a firm ride off road because of lack of volume but are capable tyres.
Also, they are not heavy

Re:

Cyclo cross tires. Hm. I have really never even heard of this before but they look promising. They seem like they could be the best of both worlds. Why are they not More popular? Most hybrid tires I see are more like flats with some knobs on the side. Would these cyclo cross tires be that different than using the land cruisers ?

Re:

I've never used the landcruisers. Looking at the spec they look capable of most things as a previous poster mentioned. The only downside is that they are very heavy.

Re:

All tyres involve compromises. Other things being equal: lighter will be faster; however, puncture protection will add weight. Knobbly tyres will get more traction in mud and dust but be harder work on the roads: conversely, smoother tyres will roll more easily on roads but slide more where knobbly tyres excel. Then again, the design of the knobbles can make a difference. Fatter tyres will tend to have a larger contact patch and therefore grip a little better but they will also tend to be heavier. You've just got to decide in which respects you're most prepared to compromise.

If you're prepared to sacrifice some puncture protection, Continental Race Kings are another tyre worth considering. (Incidentally, the Land Cruisers are pretty heavy but comparable hybrid tyres from the likes of Continental are actually heavier!)

Back