Muddy Fox 1984 Limited Edition

JohnnyBonner

Retro Newbie
Hi there
I've been pointed to this forum to try to establish the value of this bike I have.

Its the Original Muddy Fox Limited edition, there were 100 of these produced in about 1984 and it was supposed to represent the ultimate mountain bike of its day, only 3 were desined for the UK market and it cost £1000!

I have with it a certificate of authenticity and a sales poster.

The bike is totally genuine and original (except the tyres) and virtually unridden (its been in my family from new).

Be interested you hear what you think

Attachments

• MFLtd.jpg
    MFLtd.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • MFLtd.jpg
    MFLtd.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,149
  • MFLtd.jpg
    MFLtd.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,149
If only you'd had the pair!

An intriguing proposition - I'm not sure that the 'market' as represented by Retrobike is 'mature' enough to recognise the historical status or value of such a bike. Most people here hang on the later 1980s onwards (as they are of that riding age) and we perhaps don't have the depth of history that goes with say the roadie territory or even our brothers on the other side of the pond.

I would estimate that it might fetch £275+ based on a Retrobike UK mountain bike heritage/credibility; maybe more through or to ex-shop owners/trade people who worked with the brand BITD. Most late 80's MTB's of distinction that were £1,000 plus then will not usually make more than £250 today, even in the best condition.

Interesting to see how others view this valuation...

Mr K

I think you're close with that estimate, I'd say £300ish also.

It's a really toughie, on the one hand it's a beautiful fillet brazed steel frame and all period correct parts and is stunning. On the downside it's not old enough or american enough to be classed as truly historic in the sports life and is too old to hit the golden era of the sport (whats the old saying: too old to be a rent boy, not old enough to be a wino).

Funny thing is I think the fact that it was so rare and unknown acts against it also - I would have said that a Courier or Explorer would be more desirable despite being cheaper solely because they were iconic and memorable.

Personally i love it as it's from when I first got into the sport, but at 5'7 I'd struggle to get a leg over the pedal, let alone the top tube.

I AM the muddyfox courier.

That is cool .Wierdly niche enough to maybe be worth some money.But ,as above,not as cool as ,say a '85 stumpjumper.Just because it doesnt say ,er ,'stumpjumper' on it.Deffo worth a spot in UK MTB history.
I would bet in the flesh it's a very nice bit of kit.Werent they made by Araya in Japan ? Hence the stickers.
My mate Alan ( Alans BMX ) tells the story that around 85 he had a stand at the bike show opposite muddy fox.They ,obviously,were pushing it as the next big thing.

Anyway .What do you want to know the value for? Get out and ride the bloody thing.It will be waaaay too tall ,short the other way,the brakes wont work ,etc etc......

It'll be a right laugh.Believe me .

Back