MBK Adventure recovey

Lazpi

Retro Newbie
Hi!

I'm writing from Spain.

I started in bicycle mechanics a couple of months ago.

I didn't even know what a crank, stem or fork was, so it's been fun to learn.

It all started because my 5-year-old daughter has started riding a bicycle and my wife and I wanted to have a second set of bicycles in our country house (we have 2 relatively new Orbeas in our main home).

Then, my father-in-law showed me an old MBK Adventure that he had in the garage. He bought it new when my wife learned to ride a bike, from what I have seen it is from approximately 1989.

It had not been paid attention to in several decades, so I got to work, and the list of works and spare parts to date is as follows:

New Shimano cables and covers
New Shimano Deore brake levers
New Shimano shift knobs
Second-hand Orbea grips
Kenda tires and new tubes
New Seye Royale saddle
New Sun Race rear shoes
Second hand Shimano DX pedals

All this along with a good wash and oil.

I still have to ride, next time I go

Second-hand Shimano XT M750 front V-Brake with Sun Race pads
New Zefal bottle cages

As you can see, I have done some 'mixing', some things do not coincide with the year, but I have prioritized functionality/ease of spare parts over being 100% faithful.

I hope to learn in this forum!

In fact, once I'm done with this I'll start with a Razesa from the mid/late 90s.

All the best!

Attachments

• IMG_20240915_160544688.jpg
    IMG_20240915_160544688.jpg
    675.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240915_160538537.jpg
    IMG_20240915_160538537.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 20
Hello!

Today I took some time to dismantle the parallelograms of the V-Brake XT m-750.

Basically it is about releasing the 2 grub screws so that the axles are free. Clean the grime accumulated over the years with WD40, and reassemble the pin shafts with some grease. In my case I used a generic green grease from Zefal.

The truth is that it is a pleasure once assembled, to notice the difference in how soft they are after paying some attention to them, and it doesn't take more than 15 minutes. There is a very good tutorial on YouTube.

Next step, assemble it!

Attachments

• IMG_20241014_104736236.jpg
    IMG_20241014_104736236.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 2
Your bike is from 1989. I had the Hi-Tech Ranger which was the next model up.

They are great to cruise around on and quite upright thanks to short/steep rise stem. They weigh a bloody ton though! Not sure how my scrawny teenage body managed to ride it where I did all those years ago.

The colours on your frame still look really bright so it must have been stored out of sunlight. This is a problem with fluorescent colours, so do keep stored away from direct sun if you want to protect the vibrancy of the paint.

Your bike is from 1989. I had the Hi-Tech Ranger which was the next model up.

They are great to cruise around on and quite upright thanks to short/steep rise stem. They weigh a bloody ton though! Not sure how my scrawny teenage body managed to ride it where I did all those years ago.

The colours on your frame still look really bright so it must have been stored out of sunlight. This is a problem with fluorescent colours, so do keep stored away from direct sun if you want to protect the vibrancy of the paint.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, weights like a ton, I was joking with my wife that it will be probably done with tanks scrap.

We took a ride past sunday, and my wife told me she didn't understand how she ride that bike with 12 years, nowadays she is able to move it better (more sport done those years), and rides smoother.

I thinks my father in law firstly storage it in the attic, and then on the garage so, yes it has been away from direct sunligth.

Have a nice day

Back