MacRetro chat and rides thread

velomaniac":14d8ermd said:
More from Geoff:

Anyway, one little section of a circuit I'm working on goes past a fairly large house with a modest paddock in front, across which a long-established (although very little-used) path runs. The owner has begun mowing the paddock to 'lawn' height, so it could, presumably, be construed as part of the garden.

:LOL:

That's very similar to what has/is happening to track that goes into Blairadam from north side. Tarmac road that winds up into hills to several houses then turns into farm track that goes past last house then into forest.
The owner has grassed over the double wheel tracks to turn it into their back-garden, the double wheel tracks can still be seen at other side of "garden". The woman who lives there told my wife, who had said to her that she thought it was a right of way, that it was no longer a right of way.
We ignored her and continued on into forest, no response from her.

As Geoff said maybe a wee email tae the cooncil tae find oot who's richt.

theres a bit like that out the back of markinch , two estate cottages on a
landrover type road , bloke put gates up , then some potted shrubs
and a little bench ,we had to stop our enduro bikes to procede , he complained , we complained , he removed the gates and other tat
after a word from the council
local bye-law states that as long as a member of public uses it once a year it remains public access

he burnt the cottage down later in the year ,sits in ruins now

tit

mikee":3di9izep said:
theres a bit like that out the back of markinch , two estate cottages on a
landrover type road , bloke put gates up , then some potted shrubs
and a little bench ,we had to stop our enduro bikes to procede , he complained , we complained , he removed the gates and other tat
after a word from the council
local bye-law states that as long as a member of public uses it once a year it remains public access

he burnt the cottage down later in the year ,sits in ruins now

tit

Does that bye-law extend to rest of Fife or is it just in the dark reaches of Markinch? :cool:

The burnt cottage sounds like a Kelty flitting gone wrong.

It's an old trick, you can take over a bit of land and if no one complains after 7 to 10 years you can claim it as your own as long as there are no living owners listed, which is usually the case for rights of way. If a right of way falls out of use (even through deception) I don't think that means it is no longer a right of way though.

From Monday I'll be on my Hols in Holland for 10 days and off radar. I tend to totally disconect from my usual things on my hols so feel free to talk behind my back as I will not be on the internet. Thus dont do the where's Velo bit and start to worry, as if you would :roll:

Plus before any wise remarks are made I will not be visiting the 'Coffee' Shops of Amsterdam or the Red Light district. The former i've never done because its not my scene and the latter I've already done via a friends stag do and most interesting it was too :LOL:

Hoping to see a bit of the real Netherlands in the company of my girlfriend and not the misleading version as created by the Amsterdamers.

Cheers

The cafes and red light district are only a teeny bit of tourist trap Amsterdam. Its a beautiful city. Get on the canal boats for a scoot about and go to the Van Gogh museum. Rjiks museum isn't bad either. The area around the museums has some nice restaurants and bars.

Sorry, should have elaborated, both myself and my girlfriend have done Amsterdam to death. Its about 7 visits to the city between us and I once stayed in a backpackers hostel near the centre for 12 days and have seen much of the city and its environs.
Problem is I've only seen Amsterdam and Maastricht with only the briefest of visits to Lieden, Haarlem and Rotterdam ( a couple of hours in each)
Plan is to base ourselves in Gouda in the 'Green Heart' of South Holland and visit the surrounding towns by train. These include Lieden, Haarlem, Den Haag (The Hague), Rotterdam, Delft, Schierdam, Dordrecht and Utrecht.
Hopefully there will be much beer drinking, good food, sights aplenty plus a windmill and clog or two :LOL:

Sounds Good

Sounds good Velo.
Hope you two have a lovely time and enjoy the break.
Switch off and relax, enjoy the culture.

Jamie

Back