MacRetro chat and rides thread

Pathetically simple stuff such as 29er inner tubes, cables and chain etc
Cant spare the cash even for that at the moment but a wee visit to Halfords after my hols will sort that out.
I reckon I'll go for a 1 x 9 set up using one of those monster 12-36 cassettes you can now get and eventually get a rear disc brake wheel and better forks when funds allow.
Thanks for the offer of help K but I just need my hols done and dusted to free up some readies :D

I've submitted Pedal for Scotland event for 110 mile route. Anyone else fancy doing this? Need new wheelset for it as well as my stock crappy one falling apart only crossed 1k miles :evil: Any recommendations for sub £150 road wheels?

Cool, what wheels do you have on your Planet bike? I'm thinking of P-X AL30 but I'm bit concerned about how well they're sealed and this is crucial factor being ridden in constant wet.

velomaniac":297k23yw said:
Message from Geof Apps:

Hello Velo ~

Would I be able to become a MacRetro rider?
If so, how?
If I set up a Berwickshire Ride, do you think anyone would turn up?
I feel like I'm a long way from anywhere here, especially without a car (that's on the road) and spare cash.
~ Geoff

That could be a goer, what do you lot think ?

i'd be up for a trundle out that way

Dates depending - I will travel for this.......

:D

mikee":1e9td0fg said:
velomaniac":1e9td0fg said:
Message from Geof Apps:

Hello Velo ~

Would I be able to become a MacRetro rider?
If so, how?
If I set up a Berwickshire Ride, do you think anyone would turn up?
I feel like I'm a long way from anywhere here, especially without a car (that's on the road) and spare cash.
~ Geoff

That could be a goer, what do you lot think ?

i'd be up for a trundle out that way

Further info from Geoff:

Anyway, there are quite a few shortish routes that I've (probably illegally) created/cleared sufficient for the passage of a bicycle (just).
I'm in the process of trying to connect them up to create longer circuits.
It would be good for others to enjoy them. As far as I know, no-one else has ridden them, although it appears some have been adopted by the local deer population.
Cheers ~ Geoff

I have pointed out to Geoff that due to Scotlands good access laws there are few if any trails that are entirely illegal.

This could be good for some techy riding which is my favourite kind :D

Recent visit to my old bike bits mecca has left a bad taste in the mouth.
The Bike Station is no longer the place it once was :(
They did need to change in order to make more money from the enterprise but in my opinion they've gone way too far the wrong way.
You used to be able to sift the drawers for loads of interesting stuff but they've vastly reduced the contents of the drawers and left only the complete rubbish that not even I want. Possibly they're sifting out the better stuff for internet sale.
Everythings gone up in price, some of it by very large margins. A month or so ago they had a 16" Klein Pulse frame hanging on the wall for £45, a wee bit tatty but not bad but now its £100. In the past it was not selling so they more than doubled the price, are they mad :shock:
Further a Cannondal frame from the late 90's is £130 which I feel is way too much and a steel Spesh stumpjumper from the 90's for £100 !!!!!
I went into the larder and the larder was bare is how it feels.
Complete bikes are pricey too, they're even selling new bikes which I presume were donated from remaindered stock but I doubt come with the original warrenty.
I think it unlikely i'll get anymore bargains from this operation anymore,
a sad day :(

More from Geoff:

Good ho!
The 'illegal' reference is because I'm not at all sure how much clearing one is allowed to do without consent of the owner.
I know that in England, you may only clear a blockage, without tools, and you may not travel the right of way with the intention of clearing a blockage.
Effin wierd laws, but they were devised by rich landowners, presumably for the overall benefit of same.
I have been known to carry a decent saw, trenching tool and secoteurs on some of my 'terrain adjustment' outings.
Anyway, one little section of a circuit I'm working on goes past a fairly large house with a modest paddock in front, across which a long-established (although very little-used) path runs. The owner has begun mowing the paddock to 'lawn' height, so it could, presumably, be construed as part of the garden.
Anyway, a letter to the council may clarify the law here, because it joins up two excellent stretches of rather delightful single-track.
I ramble... hope this is of interest. Must get on...

:LOL:

Back