MacRetro chat and rides thread

1x1

Great to see the Surly love :D
Great looking Cross Check.
Still sorting the build for my Spank rims on the 1x1 but have managed to fit my 29'er wheels last night.
Just need a new chain and a front post adapter for the Avid BB's and I'm good to go.
Love this machine, its pretty versatile and its singlespeed, life doesnt get any better ;)

Well.......maybe a Pugsley fork and large marge rims
Jamie

DSC_2161.jpg

Cool Jamie.
Have you ridden the 1x1 as a 29er before? Awesome versatility from the surly guys. That was why I ended up going for the cross check over some of the other options I was looking at.
As for ss. I love my Karate Monkey and it's perfect for most of the riding I do around here, but I'm a long way from your level of hardcore single speeding! I would have struggled on the National with gears, let alone ss. :oops:
Much respect for flying the flag. ;)

Struggle

Hi mate
I haven't ridden it as a 29'er yet, hopefully the next couple of days.
As for the national, I did struggle a bit especially at the start but that was more due to me not having ridden mtb for a month than the bikes shortcomings.
My 1x1 is about all I ride off road now and it just mixes things up a bit for fun being able to put fat 26's or skinny 29'ers on it.
I did see a set of gold midge bars on the for sale thread, that might be fun :D
I do have a Long Haul Trucker as well and have just seen that for next year the Pugsley comes in a 14'' size as well :)
Theres a google group for LHT and CC owners but the MTBR Surly section has a lot of CC's on it.
I think your CC is the best colour they have done, a lot nicer than the darker blue of my LHT.
Theres a few Surly's creeping into the macretro camp, long may it continue :D

Jamie

29'er

Hi FFTC
It would be cool to compare it to your KM, maybe swap over for a ride someday, you can tell me how it compares to a dedicated 29'er.

Jamie

Jamie thats looking awesome :D A set of midges would be cool. I nearly got myself a Crosscheck, I'd outed one on ebay watch thinking a 52 would be too small. Once I checked though it seems it would fit perfect, somehow missed the auction end though. I'm really taken by the crosser, its a great out the door bike for me. I'd recommend trying some big tyres and go monstercross, loads of fun :)

Cheers

The tyres are 2.1 Maxxis ignitors and there is not much clearance for going too much bigger.
I thought a set of midges and I have myself a SS crosser, brilliant :LOL:
Is there anything this 1x1 cannot do?........................change gears :LOL:

Jamie

Re: 29'er

Jamiedyer":lrdwuicn said:
Hi FFTC
It would be cool to compare it to your KM, maybe swap over for a ride someday, you can tell me how it compares to a dedicated 29'er.

Jamie

That would be cool Jamie, though there might be a size issue given that my monkey is a 20"!

SAM_0393.jpg

The cross check is my only 'road' bike now since I sold my Giant, so it's getting mudguards and rack fitted. I will probably fit some faster rolling tyres and can't see it hitting anything rougher than the odd farm track. No monster crossing for me, but I like that fact that I can if I want to. :LOL:

I've seen one fitted with Schwalbe Fat Franks and it looks pretty good IMHO.

5629498077_b4da033bc1_o.jpg

I've switched to schwalbe land cruisers for the 3 peaks, they seem to be the tyre of choice. Anyway even though they are only 35mm they have coped with a lot more than I would ever have gave them credit for. Top tyre.

Couldn't help myself.... all these new bikes....I've ordered an On One Scandal 29er :)

kaiser":30s5qceu said:
Couldn't help myself.... all these new bikes....I've ordered an On One Scandal 29er :)
Superb. Looking forward to seeing that and hearing what you think. I keep coming back to them - would use the Mary as a donor.

Back