MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

My guilt at riding a non-appropriate bike at the last Retro ride in Aviemore has been burning me up, so I want to make amends and ride an actual retrobike while still compensating for my lack of skill by having fat tyres.*

On the Retro ride I was on, someone was riding a Marin - forgotten who.

It had a steel swingarm I think.

Anyhoo, I was thinking what a great fatbike that would make, so what model had the steel swingarm, and does anyone have a spare frame medium size?

Seeing as I am going to butcher the swingarm I don't want something pristine or collectable. :)

*Although if the Surly Dirt Wizards arrive this millenium, I'll have them on my Rat Ride 1X1.

You are I take it planning to copy what Cynic-Al did with his Marin derived fatbike. The bike in question in Aviemore was being ridden by The Ken . Steel swing arms on these models tended to be found on the lower end Marins or the early ones as all the rest employed aluminium swingarms. I cant remember the exact models though but someone will know.

This one did, '98 Marin Alpine Trail F.R.S.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... t5bdvvFJpg

It may have been TK that had the steel rear arm Marin at Aviemore, he certainly has one because I saw it at Pitmedden.
There's a thread on here somewhere with either pics or links to a site where someone has done exactly what you propose.
Think they cut and re-welded the rear end wider.

Beaten to it by velo.
e14482.gif

epicyclo":2qgxi0sl said:
On the Retro ride I was on, someone was riding a Marin - forgotten who.

It had a steel swingarm I think.

That was mine Brian, frame is £40 including headset and BB collected at a meet.

Latest posts

Back