MacFatro - Fatbike news and builds thread

I also like the 907's. Tim at Sideways cycles was doing nice complete builds from about £1700, and if I was buying again I think I'd be looking there instead of a Pug, even though I love mine.
That said, the one in Kaisers ebay link is a great deal depending on how much other it goes.
Thing is Keith, you're in no hurry so just keep an eye on things. There are new brands all due to hit the market this spring. If its anything like last year there will be loads for sale in summer as lots riders realise its not for them. Happened where lots of people preordered the on one without trying one.

My wheel builder and I have realised building a fat wheel using conventional lacing methods is not a goer. 18 spoke holes lie a noticeable measure either side of the virtual spoke bed and so spokes crossing from one side of the hub to the other side of the rim won't work, least not easily. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems spokes from the left flange stay on the left side of the rim and spokes from the right stay on right of rim. Looking at pictures this seems to be the case and wheel strength for such a meaty rim should still be good, its just not the normal state of affairs in skinny rims.

Velo, that's normal. Epicyclo will be along to tell you he always crosses at the rims, but most people don't bother. Don't think any of my bikes do.

velomaniac":1eba2yts said:
How can an offset rear frame be stiffer/better, your bending the frame in an area of stress ?...

It's the choice of a 135mm axle or a 170mm axle both of the same section I'm talking about.

If you want an all rounder then 80mm rims and 4" tyres are the job.

If you want a weight weenie then 65mm Marge lights and 4" tyres are what you need.

If you want the ultimate in float for soft sand and rock crawling the nothing touches 100mm and 5" tyres (what I ride) :mrgreen:

Everything is a series of compromises though. 80mm is the best I think for all round trail and coast use.

When it comes to rear hub spacing, what Clubby says has some merit, unless you have a strong desire to run hub gears. The problem for you is if you are looking at 9:ZERO:7s they do all three, so you do have to choose. If you want the choice of running 5" tyres then you would need the 190mm. Nates on Daryls fit on the 170mm but Jase has had to re-space his cassette for proper clearance.

You have time on your side, so it's good you are doing your research. Don't buy anything just now unless it is an uber bargain, and £900 for a second hand snowblind Pugsley is not an uber bargain!

And finally, for now, if it were my money I would not be buying a new Pugsley. You can take that for what it's worth Keith. ;)

Well done TK, I'm sure you'll love it.
I've got a ride organised on the fat bike site on Sun 23rd Feb, hope you can make it.

Latest posts

Back