M-Trax 700 Ti tip find

gerryattrick

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I went to the tip yesterday to dump some rubble from the garden and, as is my habit, I looked in the metals skip. About 6/7 bikes - mostly low end but all rideable/repairable - and saw this Raleigh Special Products badged M-Trax on the top. The staff there are good, except one miserable sod, and said I could have it (plus any others I could reach without getting into the skip - they even give you a hook on a long pole to get them out - but I declined those).

It has the Ti top & down tubes, plus LX brakes/chainset and STX RC shifters and other original, I believe, kit such as the Dyna-Tech seatpost. It's been very well used and is tatty, but no dents/bends.

Some questions:

The frame number starts with a C, am I right that this dates it at 92?
How did the 700 rate in the Raleigh range?
Are the brahma bars original kit?

Not sure what to do with it now as I already have too much on my plate so it will hang around as a winter project - possible powdercoat job.

Attachments

• IMG_2210.JPG
    IMG_2210.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_2209.JPG
    IMG_2209.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,506
  • IMG_2208.JPG
    IMG_2208.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,507
  • IMG_2207.JPG
    IMG_2207.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,507
No idea where it stands in the range but to find any ti tubed frame with added bits is a godsend :D

Sweet Jesus Thats my bike!
Was wondering where it got too.

Now please give it back-we call dump robbers Pickaroonies in these parts!
Ill pm you my address-)

jackcharlton":jbekp8lr said:

Ill pm you my address-)

So sorry about that. Just let me have the frame number and I'll send it to you. There will have to be a not unreasonable charge for P&P of £167.84 of course, or I'll be out of pocket.

C would indicate a 1992 frame in the Dyna Tech range, but I have a feeling this is could a 1994 frame.

Be careful if you are thinking of getting it powder coated as the heat required during the curing process my damage the bonding.

gerryattrick":3ggqmjzb said:
jackcharlton":3ggqmjzb said:

Ill pm you my address-)

So sorry about that. Just let me have the frame number and I'll send it to you. There will have to be a not unreasonable charge for P&P of £167.84 of course, or I'll be out of pocket.

ha-no prob. Do you take creditcard?
Nice find all the same-be interesting to see it go from dump bike to bonded beauty.

drystonepaul":1uappu6c said:
Be careful if you are thinking of getting it powder coated as the heat required during the curing process my damage the bonding.

I wondered about that. I'll have to do some research on it, unless anyone out there has experience of doing it.

I've got plenty of time to get it sorted.

i had one of these was working for a raleigh dealership (BD Price wolverhampton) and was doing local xc racing
The 700 was the top of the m-trax range was a middle alternative to buying a dyna tech but used the same frame building style of bonded lugs
always loved red so this bike called out to me and had a full deore lx groupset although i did find the frame to flexy for my liking (could see the lower frame move as you put the hammer down LOL)
the bike did me well over 4 years of racing round the midlands although i hated the 'bullhorn' handlebars
hope that has helped you guys a little

Back