L'Eroica Britannia - Report & Photos; lets here your tales..

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
davkt":1mz47qdv said:
Not sure exactly when I bought them but it was certainly sometime in the mid to late 80s I bought the exage aero levers that were on my Gran Course till I tweaked it for this ride with a set of Golden Arrow levers. Also looking a photos of early to mid 80s bike races looks like aero brakes were certainly starting to appear around 83 or 84 and by 87, the cut off for eroic bikes, were pretty much the normal kit on pro bikes. So I think if they were running early aero they were certainly period correct if not within the letter of of the rules. Unlike the Lush cosmetics crew! While they did have some great old bikes there was a Triban 3, one that looked rarther like it was full carbon and even a mountain bike!

The 1983 Raleigh Road Ace had Shimano AX Aero levers, as did the Pulsar, Quasar and Criterium the following year, so they are definitely 'within' the rules

Matt_wood55":ptggy8wf said:
quiet mike":ptggy8wf said:
My photos up on flickr here ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29051501@ ... 370333785/

What a great weekend!
Seconded, great pics. Love the Holdsworth team car.

Incidentaly, did you see anyone riding with aero brake levers? I have a 1985 bike suitable for the ride, but it's got aero levers. I am wondering f I could get away with it?
Sorry, ignore this. I just read further back in the thread and it's already mentioned that aero levers were on show!!

Yep there were a few, wish I hadn't bothered swapping them off mine, a 1984 Gran Course that was built up over the couple of years after than and ended up with some of those new fangled brakes back then!

Matt_wood55":18ph3rch said:
Matt_wood55":18ph3rch said:
quiet mike":18ph3rch said:
My photos up on flickr here ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29051501@ ... 370333785/

What a great weekend!
Seconded, great pics. Love the Holdsworth team car.

Incidentaly, did you see anyone riding with aero brake levers? I have a 1985 bike suitable for the ride, but it's got aero levers. I am wondering f I could get away with it?
Sorry, ignore this. I just read further back in the thread and it's already mentioned that aero levers were on show!!

Yeah ... there were no bike rules enforcers ... down to the individual to decide to what level they wish to support the theme ...

I think I would have felt a bit odd if I were riding a bike that was too modern; sort of misses the point ...

Re:

Montello

Yep, I completely agree there. The bike has to be in the spirit of the event. I have an 1985 Mercian, and a 1990 and there is little difference between the two though, but I appreciate they need to draw a line somewhere. I had a look on the web and found pics of Fignon riding for Renault (1984 / 5) with aero levers, Lemond in 1986 etc. I just don't want to swap the aero ones out for one event, it's a hassle and an expense. Not fussed about putting pedals with toe clips on, they are no trouble.

Cheers

Back