L'Eroica Britannia - Report & Photos; lets here your tales..

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

here you go ... gives an overview of my weekend ...

************************/l-eroica-brita ... view.shtml

Re: L'Eroica Britannia - Report, Photos and Review

Brilliant report and great photo's. The whole event seems to have been a resounding success helped along by the wall to wall sunshine :) Just a shame we have to wait a year until the next one. I was amazed at the number of Italians who attended, I obviously need to return the favour in October :)

Robbied196":3thcsc66 said:
Brilliant report and great photo's. The whole event seems to have been a resounding success helped along by the wall to wall sunshine :) Just a shame we have to wait a year until the next one. I was amazed at the number of Italians who attended, I obviously need to return the favour in October :)

I think about 50% of the people I spoke to were from overseas; I was told that the actual overseas participants were 30% which is huge ...

That said some of the "British" people I spoke to had funny accents too ....

Haha very true.

"Back on the main route there were many more riders to chat with; this guy looked great but was French with no English so our conversation was sadly short."

I think your Frenchman appears on page 3!

http://eroica.it/

:LOL:

Hi Montello

It was interesting meeting you on the Saturday – I also bumped into another forumer after recognizing his bike.

A great report, which I agree with apart from the signage, which I thought was poor.
We must have been very close all the way around as I set off in the third batch of riders at about the same time.

I really enjoyed the day.

I had a puncture on the tubeless 10 miles from the finish and called my friend who lives in Bakewell (who had my ‘backup’ bike) – he had it with me in about 15 minutes, but unbelievably, I had another puncture on the 2nd bike, which fortunately was on the front tyre, so I cycled the last few miles very slowly on the rims!

Interestingly, I bumped into one of the organizers today and offered him my thanks and congratulations – It was a great event – helped by the fantastic weather.

Too busy cycling and enjoying the festival to take any photos but yep it was a great weekend, I didn't find the signs too bad, yep a little on the discrete side but then I've lived within about a mile of the long and medium route all my life so even though we used a few lanes I haven't been down before I had a good general idea of where we were going in my head. I'm loving all the descriptions of those gravel covered descents on the old railway lines! Fun aren't they? but then I've been riding them since I was a kid in the 70s so have just about got the hang of them!
I think I met people from pretty much every country in Europe and every continent except Australia

andy---doe":36jdjbjs said:
It was interesting meeting you on the Saturday – I also bumped into another forumer after recognizing his bike.

Yep, nice to meet up. Your daughter was very patient with our conversation ...

That old guy I was with was another "internet acquaintance" that I have previously only dealt with on-line. The event was good for meeting a few people in real life.

A great report, which I agree with apart from the signage, which I thought was poor.
We must have been very close all the way around as I set off in the third batch of riders at about the same time.

In addition to the signage I also had a garmin in my pocket with the route on which I referenced a few times ... they could improve it next time.

I had a puncture on the tubeless 10 miles from the finish and called my friend who lives in Bakewell (who had my ‘backup’ bike) – he had it with me in about 15 minutes, but unbelievably, I had another puncture on the 2nd bike, which fortunately was on the front tyre, so I cycled the last few miles very slowly on the rims!

Tubs are a right PITA for that type of event; however I was surprised how few people I saw on the roadside with punctures/mechanicals ....

Montello":1rg5hf2w said:
Tubs are a right PITA for that type of event; however I was surprised how few people I saw on the roadside with punctures/mechanicals ....

Yup, as I said I've been riding those trails since they first had the railway lines taken out (one of my earliest memories is watching the trains on the other side of valley from the lounge window at home when I was 2, the year it closed) and wouldn't take tubs anywhere near it, in fact my bike was running on 28mm gatorskins for some extra cushioning and a load of puncture protection!

Montello":2wull6ey said:
In addition to the signage I also had a garmin in my pocket with the route on which I referenced a few times ....
booo, gerroff ... unless it was a pre-87 Garmin of course :LOL:

davkt":193t2wc0 said:
Montello":193t2wc0 said:

Yup, as I said I've been riding those trails since they first had the railway lines taken out (one of my earliest memories is watching the trains on the other side of valley from the lounge window at home when I was 2, the year it closed) and wouldn't take tubs anywhere near it, in fact my bike was running on 28mm gatorskins for some extra cushioning and a load of puncture protection!

Yes you may be right - but both my vintage bikes have glued on tubs and I don't have any spare cvintage clincher wheels - though I will get some.

Interestingly though, both punctures were while on the road and the second bike didn't do any of the rough off road segments.

Back