L'Eroica Britannia 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Re:

I usually avoid organised bike events, but have to say that L'Eroica was brilliant.

The foodstops were a highlight, probably the first time I've finished a long ride heavier than when I started, and a glass of fizz at Chatsworth House topped it all off.

I was apprehensive about riding a fragile old machine on those rough bridle paths, but it survived. Did see a lot of folk with punctures and mechanicals though.

Re: Re:

Event was superb; better than last year in all aspects apart from the weather which no-one can control.

ian.r.mcdonald":5zk8n2sm said:
Malcomlm Elliot and Brian Robinson rode- how good to be on the same stretch of road!- in many ways better organised than Italy- looking forward to nexy year already

Mashed my way round the 100 route; almost an identical route to last year.

Only passed twice; once by some guys in matching Cycles Goff jerseys, just before the first food stop, I left before them and never saw them again although I was expecting to ...

The only other person who passed me was some older guy with white hair in full Peugeot kit with #5 on his back... he was making very good progress; held his wheel for a bit before I let it go ... I wonder if this was one of the celebrity riders given the low number ...

Missed the Dakota fly past which came at 2 rather than the 3 that the programme said so could have gone a bit easier ...

cycletothesea":29qbgvpa said:
"almost" ? I'm pretty sure the route WAS identical - wasn't it? A good thing too, I knew the way this year.

Dunno ... I took a different route through that village at the bottom of that steep decent this time but that may mean I went wrong last time ... I also took a slightly different route after the final climb; but again perhaps I did that wrong last year.

Anyone one else noticed they seem to have dropped the L' of the branding of the event; it is now Eroica not L'Eroica ...

Montello":8o2axexo said:
Event was superb; better than last year in all aspects apart from the weather which no-one can control...
glad to hear it and that you had a good day out.

Not sure about 100 miles on that course with oldie racing gears. I have enough riding there on a modern compact setup. Maybe you're not as fat as me

pigman":1dvh0bws said:
Montello":1dvh0bws said:
Event was superb; better than last year in all aspects apart from the weather which no-one can control...
glad to hear it and that you had a good day out.

Not sure about 100 miles on that course with oldie racing gears. I have enough riding there on a modern compact setup. Maybe you're not as fat as me

My smallest gear was 42x24 and it was a bit of a grind in places; plenty of people pushing bikes up hills.

The only slight annoyance was people stopping or pushing up the middle of the road or path with no thought for leaving room for people who actually wanted to ride their bikes to pass ...

Yes, another great 3 day festival that I really enjoyed. More stalls and traders this year and some big names coming in like Volvo, Taylors of Harrogate and Canon but also lots of interesting small craft stalls for cycle businesses I did not even know existed. Pleasing to see new, small traders making a living out of cycling.
Plus points : Toilets a lot, lot better than last year; same 55 mile route, that I did, so you knew what to expect now; same helpful marshals and friendly people at food stops; a wide range of cycle jumble stalls so you had plenty to look at even if the prices put you off buying; generally a bit better organised than last year which you would expect in the second year.
Negatives : No name check at the finish for me this year and the promised cup of tea at Chatsworth did not materialise due to urn issues !
Roll on next year.

Apple Tree":1ew7dk53 said:
No name check at the finish for me this year and the promised cup of tea at Chatsworth did not materialise due to urn issues !
Roll on next year.

I know, I know . . . I had to make do with two glasses of champagne!

Back