L'Eroica Britannia 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Re: Re:

Montello":r9z22yx7 said:
Give it up will you ... the price is the price; don't want to pay it don't go ... simple.

As far as I know this event does not receive any local government cash support like some of the events in mainland Europe.

No-one is forced to volunteer; if they want to they want to; from what I saw everyone helping out paid, volunteering or running their own business for profit had a good attitude so were clearly happy with the arrangement.

The event has a huge positive impact on the local community and I suspect puts a lot of cash into the local economy and provides excellent entertainment for the locals regardless in their interest in cycling.

+1.

Let's enjoy the festival, stop the grumbling, and ride our cherished, historic bicycles.

I'm going, let's get a RB team together.

Jon (aka Roadking).

P.S I'm converted: from slightly sceptical to full on enthusiasm!

Nothing wrong with any of that of course, although I do get a bit tired of some other forum members who insist on shouting down anyone who raises any criticism of the event.

I did the real Eroica and tried to give some constructive feedback when they surveyed the participants. Don't see what's wrong with discussing this event in a more thoughtful way.

Re:

Coming through Tideswell and having "unscripted" applause from the locals, the kids who had been taken to the top of one of the minor climbs before Monsall by their dad to ring bells and cheer, overtaking (just) Brian Robinson and him seeming surprised that others asked to sit by him and have photos taken at the food stop. And a great feel at the festival with "real" people like Reynolds and loads of the bike tech people .

Was it worth it- you bet!

Would a ride round on another day for nothing be as good? its not Toscana even in the sun and its the Eroica that adds loads to the experience

And although a nice idea i think routes should stay umarked and just on paper- how long is an Eroica sign going to last screwed to a post in the middle of nowhere? and lets not forget- italy has a 100 years of cycling history- in the uk even 10 years ago a racing cyclist was just someone who could not afford a car!

Gaole have moved the goalposts for guaranteed entry (to 65) so looks like I am stuck (!) with Bakewell for another 4 years

Montello":1nanpn1s said:
Old Ned":1nanpn1s said:
ian.r.mcdonald":1nanpn1s said:
and the stewards spending loads of time stopping the non entrants trying to ride the course

Without appearing thick - how could they stop people from riding on public routes and rights of way?

Please enlighten me :? :)
He is referring to the Italian event.

Little to stop a non-payer riding the UK event but I think you'd be missing out on the festival. It's not that much.

Ah right. I must have missed something somewhere :roll:

Johnsqual":2zsb5313 said:
I'll do that once the organisers set up a permanent course, as they originally promised to.
the signs are still there. I ride the peaks every weekend.
what I cannot say for definite is that all the signs for all three distances are still there

Re:

Are they permanent signs or have they just left the temporary ones behind?

The signposting of the real Eroica is amazing - proper big metal signposts that are generally more accurate and useful than the official Italian road sign system (which is comically unreliable).

The only time I didn't get lost at all when cycling a new route in Italy was on the Eroica course.

Re:

No, they are not the metal signposts you describe. Posters on ply, staked into the ground with a rod of dowel. By winter they will probably be blown over, weathered or simply gone. But what the hell, if you wanna ride it, you don't need signs, click on the site, plot the course from a map and ride. Signs won't make or break the ride

Re:

Nice piece!- lets hope the publicity and success dont reach a point where we have a Tuscan style ballot to get to ride, the organisors dealt well with the larger numbers but I felt that the 3000+ was getting close to capacity. Roll on next June!!!

Back