L'Eroica Britannia 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Re:

The event organisers mention various local government bodies as sponsors or partners for the event, so they are obviously getting some sort of help, either direct cash or help in kind.

As I've said, there are plenty of other constructive options apart from your 'like it or lump it' attitude: just pay for the festival, or ride for free and make a donation to a charity, or to Sustains, who are responsible for some of the paths used on the route, but who don't get any acknowledgement on the LEB website.

Re: Re:

Johnsqual":3cvtbj3m said:
The event organisers mention various local government bodies as sponsors or partners for the event, so they are obviously getting some sort of help, either direct cash or help in kind.

As I've said, there are plenty of other constructive options apart from your 'like it or lump it' attitude: just pay for the festival, or ride for free and make a donation to a charity, or to Sustains, who are responsible for some of the paths used on the route, but who don't get any acknowledgement on the LEB website.

You couldn't run an event of this scale without engaging with local authorities and the like and I have no idea on the nature of the arrangements but I can only assume that all parties are happy with any agreements otherwise they would say no ...

If you want to freeload the event go ahead; it is not a choice I would be comfortable with ...

Re:

Exactly, so any such event is going to need some sort of public money to get going. So your point about sponsorship is a bit irrelevant.

I don't accept that paying entry for the festival and then using open public roads is freeloading - like I say, if the organisers offered a ride only package I'd pay for that instead.

And as I've suggested, riding for free then donating to Sustrans or the National Cycling Network would be a way to contribute to the trails the organisers use, but which they don't pay for or even acknowledge - isn't that sort of freeloading?

Johnsqual":17bszlxk said:
Like I say, I don't accept that paying for the festival and then using open public roads is freeloading.

Well that is up to your conscience; who is paying to create the event atmosphere you'd be enjoying ... ?? Answer we would be; your follow riders ...

Montello":1br4ajuo said:
The event has a huge positive impact on the local community and I suspect puts a lot of cash into the local economy and provides excellent entertainment for the locals regardless in their interest in cycling.

The landlord of The Peacock looked a very happy chappy with a packed pub and a very chilled international feel. Nice garden too with plenty of posing Italians and vintage steel on show!

Another great event despite the weather not being as kind as last year. I know a couple of the traders who experienced a few hiccups with the organisation. Being sent to the wrong gate to set up and pitches not being allocated properly in the jumble area. Everyone I spoke to seemed to rate it as a great success including the first timers. I've heard good things about the California event as well, so looks like Eroica have hit on something with the licencing. I think Cali will be one for the diary next year :)

Re:

If I made a donation to charity or to Sustrans, I'd not have any problems with my conscience.

And as I've said, all the people riding these events are all just fellow cyclists out to enjoy themselves, whether they pay or not. I've no inclination to get all judgemental about people riding the real Eroica for free, as long as they don't take the p*ss with the feeding stations and such like.

Johnsqual":g48c2q9t said:
If I made a donation to charity or to Sustrans, I'd not have any problems with my conscience.

Carry on then ... I assume you'd choose to ride on a day outside of the event ...there are 364 to choose from ...

What sort of ratios were peeps using. If I do it Im thinking 40/49 up front with at least a 24 on the back, maybe a 28. I do have a Flyer with 39/53 and a 24.

Spokesmann":2hicedrn said:
What sort of ratios were peeps using. If I do it Im thinking 40/49 up front with at least a 24 on the back, maybe a 28. I do have a Flyer with 39/53 and a 24.

I was on 42 x 24... it's the best you can achieve on the 50th group without overdoing it on the rear mech.

Mam nic was tough but doable; Had I been on my modern bike I would have used the smaller gears but dealing with the limitations of the older stuff is all part of the challenge.

I went past many people walking up hill; especially the one a few miles before Chatsworth and the final one in the last couple of miles.

Latest posts

Back