L'eroica 2015 - prices doubled!

Colnagoni":1revyen9 said:
One mans rip-off is anothers great value. You're trying to impose your values on other people and that doesn't work. This event is expensive is you compare it to some cheapo events but I've done the Italian one and compared to that, this is an absolute billy-bargain. But even when not comparing it to Italy, I think what they are offering is great value.

If you want to take part in an event like this you have choices - pay up, or don't come. You're not being gouged, you're being offered a choice - thats all.

What I'm asking is not imposing my values, it's asking that the organisers of LEB show a bit more respect for the original values that inspired the real Eroica - respect for the environment, genuinely helping the local community, raising a bit of money for a real charity, not ripping off cyclists. Instead, this all looks like a cynical cash grab.

Obviously, if you factor in transport from the UK, the Eroica in Italy is expensive, but I don't see why that excuses the organisers charging way over the odds. If I was going to travel from Belgium to the UK, LEB would be a proper Robbie Rip-Off.

Events like the Retro Ronde aren't 'cheapos', either. They are well organised events run by and cyclists at a reasonable price, and over the routes of legendary races to boot... As I say, there are examples of how to run a fairly priced event. It's a shame people in the UK have limited choices when it comes to this type of event.

Re: Re:

sagwagon":285pa126 said:
I think we`ll agree to differ, lifes too short. I would definitely fire your comments at the organisers as i would be very interested in their reply.

One of the forum members on here sent a polite version of the comments from our discussions last year to the organisers - they didn't bother to respond.

Johnsqual":2fy4t4t7 said:
One of the forum members on here sent a polite version of the comments from our discussions last year to the organisers - they didn't bother to respond.
So... respectful of long-term retro bikers, then? :facepalm:

By the way, does anyone know why the retro ronde doesn't allow handlebar shifters? Sturmey-Archer had handlebar shifters since long before 1987 didn't they?

mjray":3myzfp0l said:
By the way, does anyone know why the retro ronde doesn't allow handlebar shifters? Sturmey-Archer had handlebar shifters since long before 1987 didn't they?

I think it's mainly aimed at STI/ergopower type shifters. In any case, the rules are not very strictly enforced, I've not seen anyone kicked off the route for having a bike that bends the rules a bit - even saw two blokes on modern Cannondales wearing full tweed last year :?

My own opinion, and it is truly just that, and its also from what I see as a cyclist who loves his riding on many sorts of terrain and events is the main difference with this and the original is the original is a celebration of a very specific ride on a specific type of terrain. The new British version is more a limited companies way of putting on a British version of something thats become successful in Italy, successfully I'm sure, and thats the piont, everyone knew if it was a success it would be into full maximise profit mode the following year. It will go up and up each year until they fade away and stop. Then it will be that cyclist didn't support them. Its not about a cycling celebration its a companies way of tapping into the disposable income of the many cyclist now in Britain. The British version tries hard to put forward this sense of history and celebrate the past and most people enjoyed it last year but if I go, then it will be Italy for me. My impression of the British one is just that its a company thats found a niche thats succesful elsewhere and can run it here and make good money.
Everybody I know who went last year enjoyed it and had a ball so it is just when the price goes up when that tips the scale of fun per pound and becomes not worth it and thats most likely an individual point for each of us.
Its an event at a cost to run and to make money at the end of it. Its not the same ethos or history as the original but I think should be seen as its own event.
I just dont like when I read that it should be supported because I'm lucky someones putting this event on as though they are doing it for free, being charitable. If it ran at cost last year to make it work then its so it can put prices up and make profit the following years, its a basic business principle.
The Ronde, etc and most of the Belgium and northern French ones mentioned are run by enthusiasts for the cycling enthusiasts to enjoy, its not about making profit. Its most likely to be to pay for the event and put enough aside to do the following year. But it does show what can still be done for a lot less money.
Like most events in Britain, from concerts, theme parks through to some cycling events it seems everyone wants maximum profits. From the organiser, tiolet supplier, hot dog man, burger man, beer stall its always about super high prices and low volume, rather than reasonable prices and increase flow through.
Anyway thats probably enough for me, as its neither here nor there or unexpected at all.

Jamie

I have to add to the discussion, I went to it last year, prior to going I raised concerns to the total lack of bike security i.e. solid objects to lock bikes to considering the open campsite, this was in part because I am a rep. for CTC Cymru and being aware how the cycling events are being targeted by thieves, BDS badly hit, EB's response was slow and inadequate even after CTC Hq had enquired too, their suggestion was to lock the bikes to the show ground barrier which is wood!!

Also having friends that make their living through their vintage coffee van and tea room at festivals that also cycle they happily and were the first to book priority trade pitches (not cheap) imagine their surprise and a lot of the other independent traders to find themselves shunted over in to the back field and basically told to f*ck off and not offered any form of recompense.

There is also some consternation within a cycling organisation that has been asked to assist on the assurance that this would be clearly highlighted in the promotion medias, currently not a sign of words or emblem, without these guys the course would be unsupported.

The camping ground was shocking, like kipping on a ploughed field and is likely to remain so considering what it's used for the rest of the year.
If you think the public bogs were bad the traders units were not emptied for the three days of the event, a huge concern raised by those catering food and beverages.

There was some good points one of these were chatting to the Poles and the Scots camped next to me comparing notes on our bicycles, sharing beer and utilising my Primus to cook food bought in bakewell and engendered a greater camaraderie than we witnessed in many parts of the main site.
EB are going to make a shed load of cash, if it rains the site will be a nightmare and to clarify a point above
For a £135 I can go to Gaoile by train, camp there and ride L'Eroica on bike that has more history than most of the shiney stuff seen there, which is exactly what I intend to do.
The £10 festival pass is what I believe will upset the locals thus undermining the L'Eroica's core ethos something the franchised Eroica have left behind so suddenly.

Re:

There is a £5 day entry to the festival which I dont think is unreasonable- fairer than just the riders paying for everything

The Gaoile original event is great- but factor in the long waits at start and finish and the large number of riders riding the course and not entering- its not perfect

if the uk organisors were focused on profit and nothing else they would not have set a reasonable 3000 entry limit- which looks likely to be reached in the next few weeks

it was great last year- lets hope for weather as good- and give them a chance to prove the moaners wrong !

Tell you what boils my piss this very own forum Retrobike has held it's own FREE road rides all over the country for the past three years without hardly any response from this forum attended by around the same six people.

daj":3n74a7lt said:
Tell you what boils my piss this very own forum Retrobike has held it's own FREE road rides all over the country for the past three years without hardly any response from this forum attended by around the same six people.

What he said/\/\/\/\

I can certainly understand the frustration Daj, having taken part in the macreto rides that are sometimes very low in numbers. having said that, this is a different sort of 'event' I believe.
Whilst I wouldn't be going to this regardless of the increase due to other rides, I would really like to have, or attend the road rides you guys have down south. I suppose its just a question of numbers but up here macretro section is the usual small group spread over a big distance and then of that group only a few are into the road side.
This gives me an idea, maybe not the wisest to type as I am thinking about it, but I might go and have a quick look at the macretro calender, pick a summer/spring weekend and put a road ride on up in the highlands. Thinking maybe a Conan Bridge across to Ullapool and a loop back, good quiet roads, beautiful scenery etc.
Who wagers I may be riding alone?

Jamie

Back