Lawwill Leader 2 Suspension Forks

tim b

Retro Newbie
NOW SOLD

Hi, I hope it’s ok to post in the for sale section with only a few posts, but I’d rather these forks go to someone who will appreciate them.

Lawwill Leader 2 forks, originally purchased new by me, last used on my RTS-1 back around 1996. These forks have been dry stored since then, and I have fully serviced them this week. Completely disassembled and all pivots greased, and shock drained and re-filled with fresh 7.5w oil. The existing pivot bushings are in good shape, and there's enough spare new bushings to fully change them all again twice, possibly three more times.

ForkandSparesjpg.jpg

Shockjpg.jpg

Pivotsjpg.jpg

Forkjpg.jpg

The forks are in really good condition as per the photos, and the shock stanction is not scratched or flaking at all. They come complete with manual and adaptor for pumping up the shock. I also made a Schraeder valve adaptor for the shock so if you prefer you can change the standard ‘football’ valve to a Schraeder (which is what my shock pump had). This is the black ‘L’ shaped thing in the spares photo, which is made from brass, and screws into the top of the shock.

The steerer tube is 185mm long, 1 1/8”, and has been professionally converted to a custom made solid aluminium one as the original hollow one was fragile and developed a small crack. I had this replaced with a solid steerer, which is loads stronger and more rigid, but not that much heavier as I had it made from aircraft grade alloy. The new steerer is press fitted, welded and bolted to the crown so is not going anywhere. I used it for years and it was great. It has a regular top cap bolt thread so it assembles as normal (minus the star nut), and I have also made an extension piece which screws into the top (shown in the spares photo) to extend the steerer by a further 17mm if necessary.

The only thing to mention is that there is a short split adjacent to one of the four screws that secure the shock to the crown. It was there when I was using the forks and never got any bigger, and the screw thread is still fine, but if you’re really looking for it it’s there. I have taken a photo to illustrate, but it doesn’t affect performance at all, and is hardly noticeable visually. It’s not really an issue, but I wanted to mention it:

HairlineCrackjpg.jpg

Given the condition of these forks and the spares I would like £120 posted (within the UK) please. They are absolutely awesome. :) Viewing / collection is fine – I’m in New Milton in Hampshire (South Coast).

Tim B

Lovely forks, just renovated a set of 3s for much more than your asking price. The shock also looks pretty mean on the 2s.

Out of interest, who changed the steerer for you as mine is a little short.

One other thing, I'm after a manual for mine, any chance you could run off a copy for me?

Cheers

Ian

I love them.
Is the welding and bolting of the steerer tube non-standard then I take it?

Presumably the welding / bonding / riveting means I couldn't replace the steerer with a 1"...?

BB

ishaw":q926p4hy said:
Out of interest, who changed the steerer for you as mine is a little short.

One other thing, I'm after a manual for mine, any chance you could run off a copy for me?

The steerer was changed by the engineering guys where my Dad used to work (this was back around 1995). The new solid steerer was turned to size on a massive CNC lathe, the old steerer was pressed out and the crown reamed to size, and the new solid steerer was then press fitted and TIG welded by their certified welder. I drilled and tapped for the bolts. It was done over several lunch hours so the labour was free for me, but I imagine a competent machine shop could do something similar for you at a cost. It might be easier to TIG an extra length of tube onto your existing steerer instead of replacing it completely if your steerer is ok though.

I'll PM you about the manual. :)

KeepItSteel":q926p4hy said:
Is the welding and bolting of the steerer tube non-standard then I take it?

Yep, details as above. The steerer will last for ever now. :D

BoyBurning":q926p4hy said:
Presumably the welding / bonding / riveting means I couldn't replace the steerer with a 1"...?

It could be replaced, but it would require some fancy machine work as described above. You'd need someone with an industrial lathe and a fancy chuck capable of securing the crown about the axis of the steerer. Even on standard Leaders it'd be a struggle, as once you'd pressed the 1 1/8" steerer out you'd need some kind of spacer/collar to adapt the crown for a 1" steerer. I would say that the welding on these doesn't make it that much more difficult than if it wasn't welded, but it's a massively complicated job either way. :cry:

Price drop for this to £120 posted in the UK.

I've seen a nice Honda FireBlade that I need funding for. :D

Back