For Sale La Vie Claire LOOK 753 Team Road Bike

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Sadly selling my La Vie Claire 753 Team Replica. £2995. 10% discount for Retrobike folks:

The bike I always promised myself....and have never ridden!!

Built by Bob Jackson for me from Reynolds 753R tubing, this stunning La Vie Claire replica road bike is the one I've wanted to own since I first saw it as a teenager in the 1986 Tour de France. Ridden mainly on the flat stages in that Tour de France by absolute legends, Bernard Hinault, Greg LeMond and Steve Bauer, this was perhaps the swansong for traditional lightweight steel framed bikes. La Vie Claire introduced the TVT Carbone frames to the world that year and frame design progressed from there, sadly sacrificing the beauty and craftsmanship of the traditional hand-made brazed steel frame.

Having worked in the cycle industry for many years, I'd seen so many different top of the range frames, but I decided that Bob Jackson was the company for this build - I never saw a less than absolutely perfect frame from his workshops and expensive ones at that. They were typically £50 more expensive than the Raleigh SBDU frames of the time which was considered out of most folks' reach. Bob Jackson certainly didn't disappoint - the paint on this frame alone must have been one heck of a challenge - the main tube panels are all painted - no transfers here!!

The bike was built by myself a few years ago to my specification:

23 1/2" seat tube - centre to top

22 1/2" top tube centre to centre

39 1/4" wheelbase

As I recall, I'm fairly sure it was built with a 73 degree head tube and a 72 degree seat tube

British threads

27.2mm seat tube

Full Cinelli lugs, fork crown and British thread bottom bracket shell

Campagnolo Road dropouts - chromed and chromed chain stay

Campagnolo braze-ons

Campagnolo Seat Binder Bolt

La Vie Claire Team issue pearlescent white paint work with Cyclomondo's outstanding "LOOK Bernard Hinault" transfers

Original Reynolds 753R frame and fork transfers NOS

Note: The "G LeMond" and "B Hinault" transfers on the top tube are my own homage to the two great riders - they're not laquered over and can be removed

Parts:

("NOS" - New Old Stock ie never used)

Campagnolo C Record Groupset featuring:

C Record British thread headset NOS

C Record 180mm Chainset - 53/42t chainrings NOS

C Record hubs - 32h - British threaded

C Record Front and rear derailleurs

C Record Retrofriction gear levers, NOT the standard friction ones that landed you on the top tube!

C Record "Cobalto" Brake Set - internally routed through the bar - exactly the way they did it back then

C Record 27.2 Seatpost

Campagnolo Cables NOS

Everything not labelled NOS was taken from an extremely low mileage bike, also belonging to me and is in remarkable, corrosion-free condition. I think I rode that bike just a handful of times one summer.

Other Parts:

Omni Titanium sealed bottom bracket NOS - I couldn't find a spotless C Record bottom bracket without breaking the bank, so I chose this fabulous and perfectly smooth BB to replace it. The tapers are precision made to suit the C Record cranks

Cinelli 66-42 Bars NOS

Benotto style bar tape NOS - I couldn't find the original Benotto red tape, but this tape is absolutely as good as it gets and still in it's stunning vivid red shade

Cinelli Chrome bar end plugs NOS

Cinelli IR Record Stem - 11.5cm NOS

Ambrosio Metamorphosis 32h rims laced with stainless steel spokes NOS

Shimano Dura Ace 7400 7 speed freewheel NOS - this in my opinion was the best steel freewheel ever made. Super smooth shift and unbelievably smooth internals. It's as good as it ever got with friction gear shifting. La Vie Claire would likely have used a Maillard freewheel which was a dicey shift to say the least - I had personal experience of that!! Go and watch the Superbagneres stage of the 1986 Tour de France and you'll see Hinault floundering over the top tube as his gears slip whilst he's chasing LeMond - I'm certain that wouldn't have happened with the Dura Ace freewheel!!

KMC silver chain - shifts perfectly with this freewheel

Selle Italia Rolls saddle - brand new and the same comfort and quality

Vittoria Corsa CX tubular tyres NOS - these must be like hens' teeth now and are not even perished. It's amazing how those expensive old "tubs" just absolutely set off the look of a professional road bike from this era - no decent replica should be built without them

Alloy bottle cages - I couldn't for the life of me find two decent TA steel cages that were the professional standard back in the mid 1980s, so I chose these lightweight, rigid ones - I can't even remember what make they are now, but they fit in well with the rest of the bike

Genuine Coca Cola water bottles as used in the 1986 Tour de France NOS - again, hens' teeth

I built this bike in August 2018 and assembled it with extreme love, care and attention to detail. As you'd expect from a build like this, everything was stripped, cleaned and lubricated as necessary with anti seize compound used where appropriate. It kills me to sell this bike, but it's just sitting in my house under a dust cover and frankly it’s too nice to ride - not exactly how Hinault or LeMond would have intended, I'm sure. Such is life.

I’m willing to deliver this bike to within a 250 mile radius of my home town, so should be able to cover the UK if you’re prepared to travel a similar distance. I’m far less keen to disassemble and box it for overseas post, although I’ve built similar high value “retro” bikes (although none the same as this one) and sent abroad without any problem. This would have to be on the understanding of the buyer that although every ounce of care would be used in the preparation and packaging, I can’t guarantee it’s spotless condition after being posted around the planet. I hope you understand.

Any questions then please ask.

I’m certain that you won’t find another 1980s road bike quite like this.

PS this forum only allows ten images to be uploaded - you'll find the rest on my ebay listing:

Attachments

• 20240630_163129.jpg
    20240630_163129.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 20240630_163141.jpg
    20240630_163141.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 240
  • 20240630_163148.jpg
    20240630_163148.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20240630_163201.jpg
    20240630_163201.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20240630_163210.jpg
    20240630_163210.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20240630_163218.jpg
    20240630_163218.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 20240630_163225.jpg
    20240630_163225.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 20240630_163233.jpg
    20240630_163233.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20240630_163249.jpg
    20240630_163249.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 20240630_163257.jpg
    20240630_163257.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That should be in a cycling museum funded by the National Lottery! Lovely bike too big and way out of my financial reach....GLWS.

I would drool over these in Winning magazine as a teenager back in the day. Heart achingly beautiful, now as then. Stunning, some might say it's priced high in the current climate, but you may say it's a one off never to be repeated offer, and you'd be right. I honestly don't think I could let it go if it were mine. If it were this or the wife it'd be don't let the door hit you on the way out love, hey I can always get another wife!

It's not merely a bike, it's a work of art.

Last edited:
Lovely project. Like M. Le Guillotine, very well executed! I've just bought a 753R tubeset new in the box, might do something similar, but Castorama.

Back