Kona Kilauea frame, P2 forks, and other bits - WITHDRAWN

b1ke

Devout Dirtbag
NOW WITHDRAWN FROM SALE.

I have a Kona Kilauea frame (19 inch centre to top) for sale. It comes with Project 2 forks, dia compe headset, seat collar, LX hollowtech chainset and no-name pedals. Price reduced because it's taking up space.

Somebody has put a lot of neglect into this frame. The seat tube has been widened at the top (presumably to accommodate the wrong sized seatpost) and there's a small dent in the underside of the top tube. The dent doesn't look too bad, but not sure how you'd remedy the seat tube issue, although there are no visible cracks.

Paintwork is black (presumably a respray) so I can't confirm that it's definitely a Kilauea, but that's what the decals say. However, it's light and the rear dropouts look similar to a 98 Kilauea I've seen on Retrobike. (I can take a pic of the dropouts if that helps). The paintwork is chipped all over and it would definitely benefit from a respray. Or it could be touched up (easy colour match) and used as a town bike.

Forks look fine structurally but suffer with the same paint chips as the frame.

The chainset looks okay apart from the middle ring which is cabbaged. Broken teeth and sharp as needles, so that would need replacing.

Pedals turn fine but there's movement in the bearings.

So, if you're in the mood for a labour of love, this may just be the project for you.... I'm looking for £30 collected from Brighton The forks alone must be worth nearly that. Don't really want to post it TBH.

I've posted pics on Picassa - https://picasaweb.google.com/sowedoff/KonaKilauea?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWE2p6NvMD4IA

P2 forks?

Hi there,

I'm really interested in the forks if they're non-threaded, A-head with 200mm steerer. Would you consider splitting and posting if you don't get a bite for the whole lot?

regards,
Donnie

...on closer inspection of the photos, the forks seem to be suspension corrected which renders them unusable for my project :( apologies...

It looks exactly like a 2001 Kilauea, see picture of one below, so I don't see any reason why you should assume that it has been resprayed unless you have other evidence to that effect.

They weren't in the 2001 catalogue, but were offered in markets like the UK where steel was still in some demand. I think the frame was £299, and Halfords also sold built-up bikes.

I don't know what tubeset it was made of, but I think Jones had one for a while and the weight was surprisingly low, so I can only assume that it must have heat-treated main tubes.

Attachments

• 2001 Kilauea size 18.jpg
    2001 Kilauea size 18.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,286
Many thanks for going to the effort to provide that info. I had no idea that there was a black Kilauea which is why I assumed it was a respray.

Yep, 2001. Same as mine
Didn't technically exist, at least not in the catalogues, and as a frame only package I think

Bit rare actually, and Ritchey dropouts :cool:

G

Back