Kona Explosif back from the painters! 24/03/11

"Whats a nice bike of this type worth ? I.E. is it worth me doing ?"

If you have a stroll around the site index you'll find that there is a one and only....."What's My xyz Worth" category!

jonnyboy666":1aovctkd said:
coomber":1aovctkd said:
Gold gold gold. Just don't overdo the gold components/bling with it!

honestly i HATE gold ano, especailly the modern gold, it's darker than gold ano was back in the day.

if you look at any of my builds there is generally only black or silver ano but for a few exceptions and it's never overdone.

subtle = :cool: = the way forward (or backward in our case)

Ooh-er! You're not going to like my Raw RetroMod Explosif when I put it up here then... :shock:

Personally I would have gone for the gold because there's just 'something' about those early Explosifs I really like - unless they're black!

With mine I couldn't decide what colour to go for, so after blasting I had a clear powdercoat with very fine metalflake - and I've got gold ano' bits to hang on it... :oops:

You're lucky you have a decent turnaround, I have to wait 'as and when' - but then he does only charge £45.00 for frame and forks... :D

right then update time!! :D :D

the frame came back from the painters (bob jackson) 2 days ago but i couldn't get anything done to it because life got in the way, today i was forced to stay in to dog sit! so bike building today it has been!! :D

i already had most of the parts ready, although the cranks needed to come off the vitamin T2 (the vit t2 was getting middleburns) as per usual with my builds i have gone for a subtle approach regarding colours etc, also i have used period parts where it's right to do so but i have used modern parts where i think it is better to do so.

for example i got mavic 517 rims, lets face it i'd love some 231's but they are so rare now in any usable condition. also tyre wise i use what i like as opposed to paying daft money for perished tyres that weren't that good to begin with! also i used an easton handlebar, i have the correct racelight bar but it's so narrow i can't use it.

here's some teasers :D

Attachments

• xtr with ti axles.jpg
    xtr with ti axles.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,655
  • nos mavic517's.jpg
    nos mavic517's.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,655
  • back from the painters.jpg
    back from the painters.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1,655
more :D

Attachments

• velocity stem.jpg
    velocity stem.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,644
  • xtr headset.jpg
    xtr headset.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,644
  • black with slight glitter.jpg
    black with slight glitter.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,644

Attachments

• kona dog collar.jpg
    kona dog collar.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,643
  • part built.jpg
    part built.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,643
  • part built front end.jpg
    part built front end.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,643

and please ignore the B/B cup sticking out of the B/B shell, for some reason the only non drive cup i had was for a 73 mm shell, it will be replaced but it doesn't foul the crank arm and it's bottomed out against the actual B/B bearing assembly so it'll do for the mo.

Attachments

• chainset assembly non drive.jpg
    chainset assembly non drive.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,633
  • chainset assembly.jpg
    chainset assembly.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,633
  • complete rear end.jpg
    complete rear end.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,633

Attachments