Isn't it a scary thought, but

legrandefromage":ei3a6cep said:
Yes but why spend £6000 on a Kia Picanto when a clean and shiny Rover 214 can be had for £600

I'd sooner walk (or even cycle) than have either. However although I've never had a new car (my own is 13 years old) I can understand how someone would want the ease and convenience of having something new. Get it fixed under warranty if needed and it should hopefully have fewer mechanicals etc. Even if that means owning a Korean sh*t box.

Why anyone would buy a Kona Hahanna is beyond me but you get what I mean. ;) But you've seen whats been taken to the tip, Stumpjumpers, lots of Reynolds 531 and above.

Sure. But for every stumpjumper I bet there are numerous apollo blizzards, apollo creeds and free spirits.

I'm one of those people that has lost the urge to buy brand new when I can obtain similar for free or very little. :oops:

Of course, I guess you're in the right place here then ;)

John":3asg0jj2 said:
Not sure it's that scary. Much like the car scappage scheme most of the stuff that would get traded in would be chaff that no one misses. Who cares if there's one less Rover 214 or Kona Hahana out there?

Of course the arguement stated above regarding scrapping perfectly good and usable items is very valid.

Granted a lot of the stuff in the scrappage scheme is tat but if you'd only seen some of the stuff that has been crushed due to the scheme. Because of the rules, once it's in the system it has to be crushed and no parts taken off it.

legrandefromage":2yptwdei said:
'recycling' to me is re-using an object and extending its existing use, not destroying that object to manufacture something else.

nail on the head

but this would save resources and make us spend less, but governments need us to spend cash and use natural resource.

Was talking to a car dealer I know a while back and he said you'd never believe some of the cars that they'd had to scrap. Classic low mile Mercs, 10 year old Focus in mint condition and less then 15000 on the clock, etc. :shock:

When I enquired about my original 1989 Tufftrax that I'd sold to my brother in law bitd my sis told me he'd chucked it in a skip a few weeks before. Even said she'd told him to ask me if I wanted it back first (as she knows I tinker with old bikes) but he couldn't be bothered to bring it up from Nottingham. :(

My mind just reads 'TILT' if I think about what gets waisted

the car scrappage scheme was the biggest con going. New cars are no more green than their predecessors, the amount of emissions in the creation of a new car is never recouped throughout the life of the car.

An Appollo Creed will still get someone the 1.2 miles to work when most would rather drive.

legrandefromage":2pa5zdua said:
Same as the car scrappage scheme, many perfectly good cars with plenty of life left in them crushed so some Korean bag of shite can be on the road (the amount of CO2 produced by the manufacture of the average car is never recouped by the 'greeness' of the engine).

Volvo did a study on this some 12 years ago (I had the pleasure of going to uni with the head of marketing's son.. :roll: )

In terms of total CO2 produced and saved its greener to keep an old banger on the road than scrap it even if it produces as huge volume of CO2
As the energy and pollutants used to make a new"green" efficient" car will be far greater than the marginal savings it will make.

Same would go for anything else really it's a bit of a con :(

Didn't really want to stir up too much about the business/political/environmental issues, but isn't today's chaff tomorrow's classic? Just depends how long you wait. My first motor transport was a Lambretta LD 150 and believe me, even when it was new it was slightly below the Kona Whateveritwas in scooter terms. I lovingly rebuilt it, and then gave it to my brother who thrashed it round the fields until it died. I saw one for sale recently for around £3k. Boring mid 50's commuter motorbikes are quite sought after. My old dad's 1958 100E Ford would find a loving, enthusiastic and knowledgeable home now. In my time I've scrapped without thinking 2 1963 VW's and a 1965 Moulton Deluxe. I wish I had 'em now.

I imagine there are a lot of people on this forum who love their mundane Alivio models as much as their super top of the range XTR stuff, especially if they've had them from new and I was just thinking on my way to work this morning, if there'd been a bicycle scrappage scheme I'd have traded in my Saracen Trekker for my Marin Point Reyes like a shot. Now I'm wondering if I really want to keep the Marin. Life's funny isn't it.

Glad to have got you all talking anyway. Behave nicely and don't fall out. There's room in this world for all opinions. (Except Jeremy Clarkson's obviously.)

slightly O/T but on a similar theme - the local council spent £1.2m on a bus lane to cut bus journeys on 'green' credentials.

My ex headmaster turned local councillor calculated that it would take over a 100 years for the shorter route to recoup all the emissions spent in creating the short cut...

My living is a taxi, my 9 year old 'Dub has better MPG than than the brand new Mondeo 1.8 TCDIs now being used and they are more expensive to repair (58 plates have 100,000+ miles on them already)

If a bicycle scheme was created where the trade in bikes were repaired where possible and sold off, that would be fine. But not if they were scrapped.

GLB":17j1zq7h said:
Didn't really want to stir up too much about the business/political/environmental issues, but isn't today's chaff tomorrow's classic? Just depends how long you wait. My first motor transport was a Lambretta LD 150 and believe me, even when it was new it was slightly below the Kona Whateveritwas in scooter terms. I lovingly rebuilt it, and then gave it to my brother who thrashed it round the fields until it died. I saw one for sale recently for around £3k. Boring mid 50's commuter motorbikes are quite sought after. My old dad's 1958 100E Ford would find a loving, enthusiastic and knowledgeable home now. In my time I've scrapped without thinking 2 1963 VW's and a 1965 Moulton Deluxe. I wish I had 'em now.

i've thought about this before. i was involved in the scrapping of an early 3 door mk2 golf gti a while ago. really nothing wrong with it. would be worth a couple of grand today.

the thing is if everyone keeps everything they will never be rare and valuable.

in terms of classic cars, there needs to be a cull of the model for the remaining ones to get expensive

lewis1641":h4qiikvt said:
GLB":h4qiikvt said:

i've thought about this before. i was involved in the scrapping of an early 3 door mk2 golf gti a while ago. really nothing wrong with it. would be worth a couple of grand today.

the thing is if everyone keeps everything they will never be rare and valuable.

in terms of classic cars, there needs to be a cull of the model for the remaining ones to get expensive

Bit of a catch 22 really.
Everytime I spend more getting my car through MOT than it's worth (bugger all really) people tell me I should buy a new car.
Except I still spend less than I would on repayments a new(er) one, and I have a comfy, nice looking, pleasant to drive old beemer.
A new Kia Vomitus - no thanks.

Back