Isn't it a scary thought, but

fagin":20988xlr said:
I'm not an old bike expert, my real love is old cars, but due to a sad set of circumstances and the resultant poverty, I can't afford the classic stable I would like.
But in the old classic car business there are two reasons for continuing availability of parts:
The value of the car - it is viable to have one off parts made if the result will be stupidly valuable, eg classic Bugatti.
There is enough of a following to remanufacture parts in relative bulk (or at least tool up for them, eg MGB

Or enough in the scrapper to salvage parts - unfortunatley the part you need is probably the part they were there for in the first place, eg any bit of body work on a 70/80's Italian anything.

I don't see enough widespread interest, or value, in bikes to keep that sort of support going, so older cheap bikes will slowly return to where ever LGF finds them, and a few really nice ones will increase stupidly in value and become ornaments.

I don't really care. I ride a (cheap basic) modern for the more serious stuff, a middle aged nothing special road bike, and a £34 retro off Ebay. I was going to upgrade everything and make it fancy, but it's nicely ratty, all original (except for an old Flexstem and more comfortable bars I had lying around) so I can't be bothered.

I enjoy the riding.

My 2c

Have to disagree with you there

As above, Shimano parts are backwards compatible so older cheap bikes will carry on going long into the future.

Availability of 'cheap' parts for 'cheap' bikes is huge, plenty of screw on freewheels, 7spd cassettes are still here.

It would take a fundamental shift in how new bikes are built to wipe out 40 years of modern cycling.

I'll wait for your bikes to turn up at the tip, I'll have them fixed and rideable within the hour :p

...I don't see enough widespread interest, or value, in bikes to keep that sort of support going, so older cheap bikes will slowly return to where ever LGF finds them, and a few really nice ones will increase stupidly in value and become ornaments....

Wow! re-reading that, you've not been on the internet much! There is a HUGE following for cycling of all grades, even the humble Raliegh Equipes and Peugeot Premiere and HLE frames

legrandefromage":2x9xys43 said:
...I don't see enough widespread interest, or value, in bikes to keep that sort of support going, so older cheap bikes will slowly return to where ever LGF finds them, and a few really nice ones will increase stupidly in value and become ornaments....

Wow! re-reading that, you've not been on the internet much! There is a HUGE following for cycling of all grades, even the humble Raliegh Equipes and Peugeot Premiere and HLE frames

Makes a change from people telling me to get a life.

And note inclusion of the words 'widespread' and 'value'.

But you are probably right. I'm trying to work and think at the same time.

My technical knowledge on bikes is that rims are roundish, and hubs have little holes for spokes, sadly unable to real off model numbers etc.

I find words like Ringle, Hope and pretty colours beyond my comprehension.

Maybe one day...

Back