Is anyone else as sad as me?

Suspiciously similar names but not so close as to face legal action. They also did an arctic fox and Fat Track.
Much of it was 18 speed or 21 speed “SIS with “steel” tubing. Only the TOTR got Reynolds 500 butted
IMG_2253.png

When I was around 15 I became quite attached to Marin bikes and lusted after one until buying a 93 Palisades Trail.
The brochure, the bumf about race-bred, lightweight innovations and the American location really sold it to me. As well as my friends also having them at the time (a Eldridge Grade and Bear valley).

When I went to America many years later I was lucky enough to visit Marin country and spent a day in Sausalito, however I never made it to the legendary John Muir national parks.

So when I’m a bit bored and when I buy another Marin, I like to find out where they are from and take a look at the inspirational places.

So far I have found:
View attachment 861636
View attachment 861637
View attachment 861638

It makes me think about these early pioneers racing their clunkers down these crazy paths.

I told you it was boring 😂👌
But it really amazes me that there is an Eldridge Grade that you can walk/ride down and a Shoreline Trail and Indian Fire Road.

Anyone else this obsessed with their brand?

Tricky
Marin Palisades was the first MTB I bought, secondhand in '93. It got nicked after a couple of years and it took me 30 years to buy a scrap frame and build a second one. Great bikes, perfect geometry, for me

Marin Palisades was the first MTB I bought, secondhand in '93. It got nicked after a couple of years and it took me 30 years to buy a scrap frame and build a second one. Great bikes, perfect geometry, for me
Really good geometry and they feel rapid, apparently because of the “afterburner” stays (something to do with stiff chain stays, apparently).

It's just that every kid I knew had the seat slammed and their crown jewels perilously close to the "cross bar".
My first "proper bike" was a 10 speed racer hand me down from my cousin who'd done the Interrail thing with it all over France and when I first started riding it I had the seat slammed. Had to sit on the cross bar and lean the bike to reach the floor until I grew longer legs.

When I switched to mountain bikes I deliberately went for a frame size too small and a stupidly long seat post. I've bent a few posts over the years but I like having the cross bar a long way from the jewels.

Anyway to get this thread back on track, I started with a GT Timberline, then a GT Zaskar. Meanwhile my mate had amongst others a GT Karakoram and then a GT Xizang. No prizes for guessing what bike brand we are happiest with.

There are numerous "Timberline Falls" in the US, while Zaskar, Karakoram are mountain ranges and Xizang is aka Tibet.

When I was around 15 I became quite attached to Marin bikes and lusted after one until buying a 93 Palisades Trail.
The brochure, the bumf about race-bred, lightweight innovations and the American location really sold it to me. As well as my friends also having them at the time (a Eldridge Grade and Bear valley).

When I went to America many years later I was lucky enough to visit Marin country and spent a day in Sausalito, however I never made it to the legendary John Muir national parks.

So when I’m a bit bored and when I buy another Marin, I like to find out where they are from and take a look at the inspirational places.

So far I have found:
View attachment 861636
View attachment 861637
View attachment 861638

It makes me think about these early pioneers racing their clunkers down these crazy paths.

I told you it was boring 😂👌
But it really amazes me that there is an Eldridge Grade that you can walk/ride down and a Shoreline Trail and Indian Fire Road.

Anyone else this obsessed with their brand?

Tricky
Yes I'm obsessed with my preferred Brand...... But don't fancy climbing into a volcano! 😂😂

Back