Imlach's Sweaty Hippie Funk Collection, adventure bikes, rusty rats, cruisers and other alt bastardisations of bicyclery

I got an angry @Woz :p

Not surprised - our resident fanboy of all which is "alternative" likes to protect it.

A good article from 10 years ago:
https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/05/upside-down-north-road-bars.html

From my side, I like to look in history. The evolution of fashion and industry. I'm glad there are "alternative" bike cultures but I get wound up when they think they have invented the bees knees and take it upon themselves to aim for a fashion statement. That Surly for example with absolutely dead horizontal bars at the same height with the saddle was never a thing because it's an anatomical abortion for actual riding.

The only evidence I have found of similar positions is mainly on bikes destined for "short distance-stop-dismount-deliver-remount-short distance" type of bikes. Which makes sense.

1689363916670.png

1689364033287.png

Pop will eat itself.

Not surprised - our resident fanboy of all which is "alternative" likes to protect it.

A good article from 10 years ago:
https://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/05/upside-down-north-road-bars.html

From my side, I like to look in history. The evolution of fashion and industry. I'm glad there are "alternative" bike cultures but I get wound up when they think they have invented the bees knees and take it upon themselves to aim for a fashion statement. That Surly for example with absolutely dead horizontal bars at the same height with the saddle was never a thing because it's an anatomical abortion for actual riding.

The only evidence I have found of similar positions is mainly on bikes destined for "short distance-stop-dismount-deliver-remount-short distance" type of bikes. Which makes sense.

View attachment 758840

View attachment 758841

Pop will eat itself.
In what way does that blog post suggest that it is a bad idea to invert the bars?

As far as I'm concerned, regarding fashion, that has always been a thing. People have sacrificed comfort in the pursuit of a certain look, be it ultra aggressive slammed positions, or people converting their bikes to singlespeed because they want that clean look. Fashion even dictates component choices in most cases, the return to classic componentry on modern bikes is as much a fashion statement as it is an appreciation for older tech.

I am a fan of everything alternative within bicycling, yes. Because there's creativity and experimentation which is ultimately a positive thing. People are repurposing older bikes, and yes often they're dictated by trends. For example you see a bunch of people fitting exceptionally large tyres in old MTB frames because it looks utterly brutal, but why is it a bad thing if they enjoy tinkering with the bikes and use them? I of course think practicality is important, and making decisions to set up a bike a certain way and then it being uncomfortable to ride is of course silly. But as someone who frequents the circles of xbike enthusiasts, who are proud of this sort of bastardery, I can tell you that they definitely do ride their bikes - and they ride more than the majority of leather saddle patina sniffers who wouldn't even dare take their bike outside on a damp day.

The guy with that Surly uses it daily, and goes on great adventures. No complaints about comfort. Also, since when were bars at saddle height a bad thing? That's always been my go to for comfort. But I suppose I best assess historical documents to determine what feels right for me ;)?

Also Rob voiced some concerns in regards to how the bars set up inverted could apply some undue pressure on the hands, I believe that was it. I made it clear to him that should it be uncomfortable I'd probably turn them 'the right way up', the jury is still out as I'm missing some parts to take the CC on long trips.

Love you Woz 💋

In what way does that blog post suggest that it is a bad idea to invert the bars?

As far as I'm concerned, regarding fashion, that has always been a thing. People have sacrificed comfort in the pursuit of a certain look, be it ultra aggressive slammed positions, or people converting their bikes to singlespeed because they want that clean look. Fashion even dictates component choices in most cases, the return to classic componentry on modern bikes is as much a fashion statement as it is an appreciation for older tech.

I am a fan of everything alternative within bicycling, yes. Because there's creativity and experimentation which is ultimately a positive thing. People are repurposing older bikes, and yes often they're dictated by trends. For example you see a bunch of people fitting exceptionally large tyres in old MTB frames because it looks utterly brutal, but why is it a bad thing if they enjoy tinkering with the bikes and use them? I of course think practicality is important, and making decisions to set up a bike a certain way and then it being uncomfortable to ride is of course silly. But as someone who frequents the circles of xbike enthusiasts, who are proud of this sort of bastardery, I can tell you that they definitely do ride their bikes - and they ride more than the majority of leather saddle patina sniffers who wouldn't even dare take their bike outside on a damp day.

The guy with that Surly uses it daily, and goes on great adventures. No complaints about comfort. Also, since when were bars at saddle height a bad thing? That's always been my go to for comfort. But I suppose I best assess historical documents to determine what feels right for me ;)?

Also Rob voiced some concerns in regards to how the bars set up inverted could apply some undue pressure on the hands, I believe that was it. I made it clear to him that should it be uncomfortable I'd probably turn them 'the right way up', the jury is still out as I'm missing some parts to take the CC on long trips.

Love you Woz 💋
I think @Woz is referring to the grip portion being parallel with the ground, rather than angled to meet the wrist. Obviously varies. I did voice concern about the weight placed on the wrists in response to the hand comfort issue you mentioned. But you did indeed say that you would put them the "right" way up should you get pain.

I still don't like inverted North roads, buy some Nitto mustache or some such. Inverted bars look like upside down bars imo :)

Reactions: Woz
:LOL: "leather saddle patina sniffers" :LOL:

The above post was more in response to @Guinessisgoodforyou to be honest and getting awarded and angry emoticon. He was winding you up a bit and so was I :p The blog post explores rather well the fuss of "inverted North Road" bars. The comment section includes several things of interest, at least I thought so. Assessing historical documents can provide some enlightening things.

I think @Woz is referring to the grip portion being parallel with the ground, rather than angled to meet the wrist. Obviously varies. I did voice concern about the weight placed on the wrists in response to the hand comfort issue you mentioned. But you did indeed say that you would put them the "right" way up should you get pain.

I still don't like inverted North roads, buy some Nitto mustache or some such. Inverted bars look like upside down bars imo :)
Ah right. Yeah that makes sense. Not everyone finds angling more comfortable though. The bars on the German steed are pretty horizontally darted in towards me and I find it surprisingly comfortable. He is correct about that being common on delivery bikes though ie. Long John's. My first impression when riding the steed was actually that is feels very alike riding a Long John. But people do ride those comfortably and for long periods. So I think it's wrong to assume that it is an uncomfortable position because it is common on delivery bicycles

The bars I run on my 1x1 used to be parallel with the ground which was more comfortable to me but unfortunately the position was a bit low, so I ended up angling them which actually makes my hands go numb more often.

What I've found though is that you end up adding more leverage to the front end when running bars like that guy is on the Surly. Which I think some people don't like, personally I like weighing down the front end a bit and it makes me feel more stable

:LOL: "leather saddle patina sniffers" :LOL:

The above post was more in response to @Guinessisgoodforyou to be honest and getting awarded and angry emoticon. He was winding you up a bit and so was I :p The blog post explores rather well the fuss of "inverted North Road" bars. The comment section includes several things of interest, at least I thought so. Assessing historical documents can provide some enlightening things.
Ironically the first bike on the blog has bars which are supposed to be that way and aren't inverted. Here's some similar that the inverted north road is trying to mimic. To my eyes nicer. Lets not forget beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You will find several n/r bars.
Edit I feel another angry may be along soon o_O

Attachments

• Brown Brothers 1939152.jpg
    Brown Brothers 1939152.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Brown Brothers 1939151.jpg
    Brown Brothers 1939151.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Brown Brothers 1939150.jpg
    Brown Brothers 1939150.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Brown Brothers 1939149.jpg