I hope it won't break...

Still it will be interesting to read a ride report…🤓

I am sure it has its won special characteristics the moment you through some dirt on it.

Would be fun to know how it compares to some other of your bikes? What about that badass you have hanging in your wall? 🫣

sorry don’t mean to deflect you from the grove you got going with this build but that one looks a heck of a bike!

All this to say it’s coming along real nice so far! Keep it going!

What a mess...but tinkering is more important than tidying up.
View attachment 886441
View attachment 886433View attachment 886434View attachment 886435
View attachment 886437
The build went smoothly and according to plan until I wanted to fit the rear derailleur....
That's when I realised that the thread for the derailleur bolt was still missing.
View attachment 886436
Fascinating how blind I am. You tinker with a frame for 3 months and don't realise that a thread is missing...

Next I have to find a suitable thread cutter.
I hope I can continue next week.
M10x1, same as some spark plugs, any good motor factors should have a tap for it. 😁 fun enough,
Thank you. It has longer chainstays than I had planned but I couldn't find a better way to work around the wide tyres. I also miskayculated something in the seatstays (of course I did...).
The bottom bracket is lower than expected and therefore I swapped the rigid fork for a suspension fork.
View attachment 886486
Luckily I found one for cheap that hasn't been used and will do just fine for this project, it matches the colour sheme too.
I like these forks. So much so that i bought a pair. Theyve been faultless. You can extend them to 140mm soooo easily.

I like these forks. So much so that i bought a pair. Theyve been faultless. You can extend them to 140mm soooo easily.
That's nice to know, they have 100mm of travel atm. And it seems you can use a remote lock out.
I think I have an old RS one somewhere...

Today was finally the day, I brought the taps and time with me to the workshop.
IMG_20240924_120643.jpg
Careful now...
IMG_20240924_120214.jpg
I think it all worked. The rear deraillieur could be fitted.

I think I now also know why 1x12 was cheaper than 1x11.... adjusting the whole thing is quite a challenge (at least more than I thought) and it still doesn't work satisfactorily.

But anyway, here is the result of about 70 hours of work.
IMG_20240924_131915.jpg IMG_20240924_131900.jpg IMG_20240924_131929.jpg
It can certainly be done quicker if you know what you're doing.

I'm really happy with it!

I only rode a short lap today and I have to say it already feels different than all my other bikes.
It's most comparable to my Univega. But while the Univega feels nervously soft, the Bambusbike feels comfortably soft, if that makes any sense to you
When I first got on it also made some cracking noises and I thought it was broken....until I realised that it was the old saddle...

More test rides to follow...

Latest posts

Back