How long has everyone been riding?

My first true MTB was a 1989 Specialized Rockhopper on which I discovered the joys of singletrack.

No breaks longer than a few months. So nearly twenty years of mountain biking pleasure.

Note... Kids are not an excuse for the other half to stop you riding, "get them told".

I started properly in 1988, with a Marin Pine Mountain that I worked all summer for my dad to pay for.

Carried on to about 1995 or so, and then lost interest in the whole scene. Only rediscovered the joys in the last couple of years really.

My first actual mountain bike was 1985, so officially I guess its 23 unbroken years, although my parents house literally backed onto the mountain (4miles from cwmcarn) so I'd be riding on the mountain on whatever bike I could cobble together since aged 5 (79). age 6 my father tried to get me into moto-X bikes, but I prefered the engineless variety :)
Mileage is such a roadie way of quantifying time on the bike. I do about 20hrs a week on a bike & definately more in the summer :)
6.5hrs yesterday in the brecon beacons in some of the weirdest weather ever :LOL:

Years in the saddle...

I'm new to the forum but long in the tooth for an offroad rider. I hung up my BMX vans in 1989 when I bought my first MTB a green and white Dawes "Tracker", since then I've had two Rockhoppers, a Scott Pro Racing adapted to internal gears then SS, KHS Alite, Norco Charger and current retro ride a 95 'dale M900. Never raced in 20 years riding but have spent many a long day in the Cheviots doing XC. I had a foray into FS last year with a Univega but can't get away with man-made centres give me a trail anyday! I hope to post a few pics of the 'dale for comment back fully expect a slating for not running canti's!!

All diffierent types of bikes since year dot. But proper when 24 till 30 then a 'brake' of 2 marriages/divorce now been riding for over a year :D

how long mtb

it depends on wha you define mtb . i remeber when i was 11 or 12 getting an lod raliegh 5 speed hammering the forf's straight , fitting some T bar handle bars and knobbly tyres and went tracking . i'm 41 now so thats like 30 years or did me and me mates invent mtb,ing . i did claim in MBUK in 1994 that we had .

I started riding MTBs in 1987 ( when I was a young buck of 35) as a way of keeping some fitness during the summer months when I wasn't doing as much training with my sled dogs. Went on from there to do a bit of racing with some half reasonable results for an "old fart"....

Then I had a break of two or three years when I didn't ride at all, but now I'm probably more enthusiastic than I ever was. (and have more bikes too :LOL: )
I don't really consider myself a "cyclist" though - all my life I've just liked doing off-road stuff and being in the forests and mountains (on foot, trials and enduro bikes, 4WD, with sled dogs and mtb's).

Latest posts

Back