How long has everyone been riding?

cherrybomb":1lb3l5bd said:
KIDS! who'd have 'um? :roll:

Hmmm, rather annoyingly, the only riding I've done since mine came along has been commuting... She's 5 months old now. Don't know where the time is going.

Mountain biking since the halcyon summer of '88, and it still gives me the exact same buzz even now! :D Admittedly i have been "without bike" for a couple of months now for the first time ever (DAMNED bike thieves) and it's driving me nuts having to hire/borrow 'em but i'm saving my pennies up for a nice project for the summer. Have to use BMX till then (how small)..

Incidentally, has anyone seen the film called Bicycle Thieves (aka The Bicycle Thief or Ladri Di Biciclette) circa 1948? Apparently it's pretty good, but i've not gotten round to ordering the DVD - money needed for new-to-me byke - inspiration acheived though reading about other peoples bargains :evil: :mrgreen:

Started with this mountain bike lark in Cyprus in 1990 gave it up in 98ish, Started again in 2003, Gave it up in 2004, started back again in 2007 as a means of fitness, Found this site and i now have 4 rides. My wife hates this site as it empties her purse :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I've been riding MTB since 1989 when I picked up a used Stumpjumper and have been ever since. The Stumpy I used for commuting as well as hitting the trails in the weekend in true "weekend warrior" style.

The Stumpy made me feel invincible, that's how I remember the feeling of being on a proper MTB the first time. I could (and did) ride up, over and off anything (in Holland ;)) but of course we weren't unbreakable. I bought my first helmet after a close encounter with 3 ft tree. It left a permanent 20 minute gap in my memory and stitches to sow my ear back on. A 3 ft diameter tree that was ..

My first dirt riding was done way back in 74-76. We had a 10 ft hill in the centre of a figure-of-8 dirt track with banked turns and some jump ramps. At first we played BMX on our dutch 20" fixie kids bikes (no real BMX). But soon we cannibalised some front suspension and wheel of dumpster 50cc Mopeds. A handy neighbour with a wrench fit them forks with the large Moped wheel and fat tire in our bikes. So we just flew down the hill and hit those ramps!! same as all the youngsters do today. Sadly, I have no pictures of these Frankenbikes.

Enjoy!!

Re-discovered cycling in '97 and apart from illnesses, injuries and holidays I haven't had a week off since.
:D

Repack Rider":2y2d2jzh said:
Road, 1970

Off-road, 1974

Now that's showing off ;)

Always been into cycling of some sort since I was a kid. Discovered mountain biking in 1993, rode seriously until 1999 then retired due to injury. Re-discovered cycling, due mostly to this site, late 2006.

For yonks...BMX to road and got my first MTB in 93, moved to more commuting and a bit of touring then road and triathlons with the mountain bike always in the background. Lots more mtb this year as I tone down the tri.

Since I was old enough to go off on my own... 12 I suppose.
I was also lucky enough to have a ace head of PE that let me ride for sport. Used to get the phone number of some random payphone on the hills and tell me to tell him it when I came back to make sure I had actually gone for a ride! :LOL:

Went to sea when I was 18 and started smoking and drinking. Never stopped riding, it just became a occasional recreation.

Got back into it seriously when I was 28, found this place shortly after.
Now feel off if I don't ride twice a week. Plus I am fit enough that a couple of months off due to moving and work have not lost all my fitness! :D

Back