How hard (moreso costly) is it to put a modern drivetrain on a vintage mtb?

5' 10"...is that ok?
That's all individual. You're my height, I ride anything but I make it fit with stem/bar/saddle combinations. I'm not aware of diamondback sizing but I'd guess it is slightly on the large side for you, best to measure up and get an idea of what feels right for you, as you don't want the reach to be too long. The standover height should be OK. I'm guessing you're not chucking yourself down mountainous rugged trails.

*note I've got longer legs and arms shorter than a dinosaur so.... ymmv

That's all individual. You're my height, I ride anything but I make it fit with stem/bar/saddle combinations. I'm not aware of diamondback sizing but I'd guess it is slightly on the large side for you, best to measure up and get an idea of what feels right for you, as you don't want the reach to be too long. The standover height should be OK. I'm guessing you're not chucking yourself down mountainous rugged trails.

*note I've got longer legs and arms shorter than a dinosaur so.... ymmv
Last bike I got for free the frame was massive. No idea the size but with seat all the way down, iirc, I would be on tippy toes. Didn't bother me and I think I read that for hill riding, which is what I want to do most, it is not an issue and even a benefit? I remember we would be advised, again iirc, to raise the seat very high to help climbing hills.

Btw, side note, can you get friction shifters still for these new gear systems? I am not sure I will like indexed, I had them on a 90s bike I remember but I prefer friction. My favourite are the big stubby 90s thumb shifters. Will old friction shifters like that work with new 'high tech' shimano etc. gear?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Last bike I got for free the frame was massive. No idea the size but with seat all the way down, iirc, I would be on tippy toes. Didn't bother me and I think I read that for hill riding, which is what I want to do most, it is not an issue and even a benefit? I remember we would be advised, again iirc, to raise the seat very high to help climbing hills.

Btw, side note, can you get friction shifters still for these new gear systems? I am not sure I will like indexed, I had them on a 90s bike I remember but I prefer friction. My favourite are the big stubby 90s thumb shifters. Will old friction shifters like that work with new 'high tech' shimano etc. gear?
I like larger frames. I ride everything from a 60 cm to 43 cm. I don't know about them being better for climbing, in my experience smaller frames are more responsive and efficient when climbing. A larger bike feels more planted perhaps and depending on the setup can be very balanced in terms of weight distribution, but the nippiest bike I have uphill is actually a tiny minivelo or my smaller Monark.

Here's a few of my setups 20240421_175938.jpg 20240618_181741.jpg 1000036751 (1).jpg 1000040981.jpg

All vastly different sizes and all work fine. Can stand feet planted and the reach is adjusted with stem / bar combinations and saddle position.

Friction shifters can be used on any cable actuated drivetrain. Only thing is older friction shifters can sometimes struggle with clutched mechs and sometimes they don't have enough lever motion to reach the wider range cassettes. Up to 9 speed just about any friction shifter can do with zero issues. I like modern microshift index/friction ones. Thst is what I run on the zaskar pictured. A 7 speed freewheel with an 11 speed derailleur, friction shifted. I've since added a 3x in the front.

Back