How do I remove this cable adjuster?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Strange one as usually this is a simple task.

The outer mastic adjuster just spins, around the inner, so I want to replace it. However, due to the problem I'm trying to solve, I can't remove the adjuster.

I've tried squashing it all together to try and force the inner to move but it isn't laying ball. Any ideas?

I want to use the mech on a build.

Thsnks

Attachments

• PSX_20240707_234153.jpg
    PSX_20240707_234153.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 46
  • PSX_20240707_234202.jpg
    PSX_20240707_234202.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 45
  • PSX_20240707_234223.jpg
    PSX_20240707_234223.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 45
Have u tried putting a cable in with cable end and then try gripping it tight to turn it?
Cutting the plastic off then gripping the metal direct.
Presume you've applied some penetrating oil and a little bit of heat from underneath?

Cutting the plastic off was going to be my next move, albeit last option. I've not tried the other options yet. The mech is practically new, hadn't noticed the adjuster wasn't moving when I bought it as a spare for my gravel bike, but plan to use it on a road bike build.

I'll give the other options you've mentioned a try though.

leave it and put an inline adjuster on instead? if it's internal routing that's annoying, if it's down tube routing you can put one at the braze on.

Looking at the first pic there looked like a part that unscrews. This diagram seems to suggest that the case.

It looks pretty mangled though, so I’d go with Novocaine’s suggestion and leave as is. I’ve used these before and they are great for adjustments on the move. Just insert into the existing cable between the bars and first cable guide/ entry point.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've actually got a few of the adjusters kicking around so maybe I'll just go that route as the frame isn't internally routed. Thanks for the suggestion and free solution.

I'd still like to remove the adjuster on the mech, bugs me as to why it's just stuck.

I know right, I can service forks, bleed disc brakes and have built so many bikes, serviced and refurbed loads of components, but here I am ....

Far as im aware its a 2 part, with a spring.

The inside metal bit has ribs on it, and i suspect given the state of it the internal corresponding ribs on the inside of the plastic adjuster knob has worn off and its slipping.

If you want to cut it off, dont saw it as you'll be left with the insert metal bit which will be really difficult to remove, so instead using a stanley knife, look to remove the plastic outer.

Back