Home Anodizing

Nope, just customised brake booster, cnc jockey wheels,(bearings fit beautifully), mech hanger bolt, crud claw. I did have the insane idea of anodising the XT front and rear mech too, but think that is going a bit too far, a bit like when one has a paint brush in their hand. Just trying to get the bike so that where any detail is, there is a contrast of black, silver and red.

The rest of the anodised stuff I have managed to buy, granny ring, crank bolts chainring bolts, jockey bolts, seat pin.

A big departure for me, putting a colour other than black or silver on my bike, it was the Saracen frame decal's fault.

It noticed that a lot of Marin Lite parts had an appearance of anodising but actually were coated in a coloured lacquer. I keep meaning to have a go with glass paint.

hamster":2gy0cadv said:
It noticed that a lot of Marin Lite parts had an appearance of anodising but actually were coated in a coloured lacquer. I keep meaning to have a go with glass paint.

The guy at the LBS does some painting and he showed me a pair of hubs that looked ano'd but he had sprayed.

Yeah, I recently used glass paint whilst trying my colour scheme out, not particularly hard wearing, but good enough to get an idea. The bake on glass paints would be better though, if your alloy will take the oven heat, no reason why it should'nt.

DIY Home aluminum Anodizing for a Hobby????

This all sounds like such a bad idea! And difficult to explain in casualty :)

we tried it in a school class (15 years ago) and it didn't work out too well. Pieces were mainly blotchy.

However, my mate 'borrowed' some school equipment and discovered it worked rather well when using rather more concentrated chemicals.

If you are in it for a laugh - recommend giving it a go. Just make sure you are wearing poly apron, safety specs and gloves (of course).

If its a means to an end. The pros can do it cheap and you can be assured of a result at the end.

Concentrated acid and electricty together... whats the worst that can happen?...

tomatoevousparlour":2bujoxk4 said:
You say it looks to easy you think its fake?
The only reason is i want a pair of purple hubs but have struggled to find any

ive got an purple hope hub if you want it, would perfer to swap it against something red anodized if you got any

That sounds brillant, allthough i dont acutly have anything red, i just been routing through my spares box, and its all black, how much would you want for the hub? and is it a 32 hole?

Thanks Jon

We did ano in metalwork at school some 25 year ago ,we made a set of engineers squares which were anodised light blue for protection
Although it was set up for us by a chemistry teacher it still looked pretty easy

I'd say,give it a go on some small parts like headset spacers or the like
But for gods sake wear goggles! [glasses are not goggles]

Wow - all good stuff! Just beari in mind the chemicals are CORROSIVE, so its not the sort of stuff I'd want to have around in my precision workshop. Plus the cat might drink it (semms to love curry and piri piri, so no telling what he might like).
Its something I've looked at a lot. Esp as I'm trying to get some motorcycle parts chromed at the moment- and the quotes I'm getting are horrendous- any reccomendations?

And if you really need NOS fly purple hubs, give me a tap, I have one pair of NOS 3DV Ringle left. .. not cheap though. . . ;)

Back