Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Anidel
FYI. For comparison here's pics of Velobase aluminum badge, yours and my '51 Sirocco's reproduction badge obtained from HLlloyd's.
Doug

Attachments

• 15523764209_9458325f01_o.jpg
    15523764209_9458325f01_o.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 634
  • fullsizeoutput_22.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_22.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 634
  • B7E3B10D-E801-4944-BC92-F26E016456DF.jpeg
    B7E3B10D-E801-4944-BC92-F26E016456DF.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 634
Re:

I also think it is not the original paintwork. Most probably it has been acquired BY this Peter who possibly has had it repainted at Holdsworth and a badge mounted on.

This eBay auction is selling a "bonderized" sticker (repro):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claud-Butler- ... 2331486119

And it states:

Bonderized was Claud Butler's rust proofing process

Claud was a Holdsworth's brand at one point. This, I think, kinda help to confirm that Peter, the second owner, most probably re-painted it a Holdsworthy and had it bonderized too.
Don't think these frames were bonderized in 1934 or were them (on order)?

However, if it was done in 1934 before painting it then: "The surface of bonderized steel promotes excellent paint grip and offers superior corrosion protection, making it ideal for steel that’s out in the elements."
Which could justify why the paint is in such lovely conditions (also given that is has had only two real hands)

Anyway, we will probably never know :) I am assuming it's, in either case, an original Holdsworth paintjob, so I'm fine with that.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you read catalog descriptions of finish used by Holdsworth during the 30's the frames are described as being "coslettised" and later in 30's as being "rust proofed".

A little research revealed: "Phosphatizing in aqueous solution by iron phosphate goes back to 1906 with the English patent of Thomas Coslett and the first applications appeared in 1908 under the name of Coslettisation".

Coslettisation is the same process as bonderizing. I don't see any mention of term "bonderizing", at least in a quick scan of early Holdsworth catalogues. Not sure when term bonderizing originated.

HLloyd's sells "bonderized" decals as well.

Didn't know how it was called before.
Still, this doesn't tell us when it was done unless we know when those exact decals were made. :(

Cliff Pratt Bonderised their frames before painting, I remember it being mentioned when I worked there and I think it's mentioned in Cliff's own book. I'm sure it turned the metal black..

Midlife":2uiuw56f said:
Cliff Pratt Bonderised their frames before painting, I remember it being mentioned when I worked there and I think it's mentioned in Cliff's own book. I'm sure it turned the metal black..

Yeah I read it would turn black. And it seems it needs to be primed right away of oxygen would turn the steel white.

rogerzilla":3gt1t5n0 said:
My 1951 frame had a Bonderized decal on it, original finish. Didn't stop it rusting :)

I guess it has to be done throughly, in and out and any chip would expose the underlying unprotected steel.

Back