Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Anidel

I actually emailed Steve at H Lloyd's couple days ago to see if he had any clue re time line for Bonderized decal. Maybe not, but worth a try.

I would think that if back in the 30's the process of coslettization or rust proofing referred to in catalogs was actually bonderization and Holdsworth was placing such decals on their frames, they would have called the process bonderization in their ads. I think extra ammo that this frame was actually repainted at a later date.

Re number on BB, I've found another pic of a Chater Lea shell that has same number, 1563. So this is a BB shell manufacturing number. Other number on your seat lug must be serial. Pics to compare yours and other:

Doug

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_26.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_26.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 522
  • fullsizeoutput_27.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_27.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 522
Nice find!

It's worth nothing that the number was also very well centered and in line with the CHATER LEA text, which hinted at it being a Chater Lea numbering system.

Any idea of the year of that second frameset ? Link to where you've found that image ?

Also found this Chater Lea catalogue from 1931 (http://threespeedhub.com/wp-content/upl ... 931-UK.pdf) where, in page No. 8, the BB shell No. 1563 is mentioned as 'supplied separately' ( I guess separately from the tube sets )
However doesn't rule out that they were still selling the very same shell up until the 50s

Re:

After looking at availabnle catalogues it seems that the beautiful blue track frame could be 1936ish. It loooks later, but that shows how forward thinking WF was.

I thought the chain stays were round / oval / round in the pic. which was a bit misleading. I also thought that chater bottom brackets all took 3/4 inch stays,not 7/8.

It will be interesting to confirm that it actually has 7/8 crimped chainstays.
(Edit, in the 1931 catalogue both sizes available)

No doubt you will turn the head clip to the correct position.

Keith

First thing I'll do is to turn the head clip indeed :)

I will report on the seat stays too.
Frame has been delivered at the office today, but I wasn't there. Will pick it up tomorrow.

Ahaha :D

I just completed mounting the Cyclo Ace derailleur on the younger sister (La Variable from 1939). Looking smart!

Back