Help to identify an old bike, possibly a Raleigh tourer?

mullofkintyre

Retro Newbie
I've bought a bike from our local recycling place that I'm hoping to do up a bit and ride but can't identify, and I'd like to ask for any suggestions please.
It's about 25", has the old horizontal top tube, and has the serial letter F stamped on the bottom bracket but no numbers. I read on Sheldon Brown that this may indicate a Raleigh built Reynolds 531 frame from 1971.
I think it's possibly been re-sprayed (scarlet red all over) as there's paint on top of the cable guide underneath, but there are marks where a set of stickers have been removed from the top of the red, including a possible Reynolds decal square at the top of the headset-to-bracket (down?) tube. It has a Raleigh drop handlebar and SR stem but it looks like the rest of the bits are assorted, including bmx parts. The crankset is 52/42 with an outer chain guard directly connected via gaps in the outer chain-ring.
Oddly, the back brake is on a Pletscher type plate with 2 holes for a rack. There's a plate for a kick stand and a braze-on for a dynamo(?) on the inside of the upper left rear fork stay. The front derailleur is clamp on, as are the Sachs-Huret friction down tube shifters. There's a five speed Maillard Normandie freewheel on it just now. The derailleurs are Sachs-Huret, nothing special. I suspect it's an older frame with a lot of mid-eighties parts on it.
If anyone has any suggestions or questions I'd be please to hear from them. Which bikes had Pletscher brake bridge plates?
Thanks
Dave

Re:

Personally I have seen the plescher rear plate mounting on a 1983 Sun solo (Raleigh built) and on late eighties Raleigh pathfinders. the stand mounting plate I have seen on a number of eighties Raleigh lower end five and ten speed Medale bikes.

The first suggestion is to take a picture because we can't see what the bike looks like otherwise.

Hi, I will put up a couple of pictures. This bike doesn't have the fitting on the right front fork for a light that the sun solos I can see on a quick Google search have. What colour were they in 1983?
thanks
Dave

The one I had was a ladies one in an Electric Blue metallic. the Maillard hubs dated it to 83 or 83 no lamp bracket on the fork.

Back