Hell hath no fury like a retro bike scorned!

snooks

Old School Hero
It was a lovely day yesterday, and having spent the last 3 weeks on boats I thought it was about time to go for a bike ride.

I haven't been out on my old faithful 1990 Kona Fire Mountain (in blue with white splatter) since I realised she weighed a ton, and I cheated on her and bought a 94 Kula, which has taken the place and my off road ride..Since I bought the Kula, my one and only previous Kona, which I've owned from new, has been sitting in the shed with the mud from the last ride sill covering her frame.

With a slightly guilty feeling I thought I'd take the old gal out for a ride...everything was fine until 5 miles out, and she punctured!..No problem, I'd remembered to swap the spare inner tubes and tools across, so no problem to swap them over.

Had a close look at the tyre and noticed the sidewall is falling a part...old Ritchey Megabite, still ridable tho...but no sign of anything that has caused the puncture - Even turned the tyre inside out and had a good old look....Then I had a look at the rim and I noticed a spoke poking through the rim tape...that seemed to be the only sign, couldn't see a hole in the tube, so I pack a few leaves over the spoke and turned the rim tape around before getting the whole thing back together again - I won't make a formula 1 team with this effort

I pumped it back up, took the pump off and noticed the valve was leaky...so I thought I could do the dust cap up tight and it would get me home...nice idea, but by the time the cap was tight the rest of the tire was flat!...great two flat tyres. Arrrrrgggggggg! :(

Now I faced a 5 mile walk with cycling shoes on....Ah but there is a train station round the corner...good idea I thought...I always take my credit card for this sort of mishap :)

Got one train, and missed a connecting train by 9 mins :evil:...52 mins to wait! :evil: :evil: Sunday time table :evil: :evil: :evil: ...The whole journey took 1 hour 50...I should have walked!!!

And all because I've neglected the old girl for a younger model...and she knew it! I'm sure they talk about me when the door's closed!!! :roll:

:shock: so whats happened to the 'new' bike? Have you cleaned your retro kona?

Back