Have we killed RetroBike?

Hmmmm...... Its getting a bit political in here !!!

The second politics get invloved things turn to shit so I suggest we all just continue to enjoy it !! Yes, it is about Retro-Bikes but we are a small community on here now so its good just to chat about mindless crap sometimes !!!

Personally I wont be looking at the 98 bikes and newer but thats just my opinion.... Dont be a sheep, look at whatever takes your fancy :) If it makes you smile.... Ay John :D :D

Right....

I'm only 30 so.. not as "retro" as some...

I never stopped riding so modern is good.. in fact really good.

The reason why I love this site is because i've been riding for years and back in 1993 there were some really cool bikes around!

Retrobike is not dead.. it just has the accept the fact that the riders who visit the site did not stop riding in 1997.. and may want to discuss the bikes that they enjoy riding daily NOW...

I ride my 2007 (ooooh matron) Orange 5 as much as humanly possible.. because I love mountain biking.. you know the reason why we are all here.. (i hope).. and I love my retro bikes (still own th P7 by the way) because of that warm fuzzy nostalgic feeling that they give me.

If this site were to proclaim that modern bikes were the work of the devil it would officially be dead.. end of! But look around.. John himself posted a topic about 'shadow rear mechs' ...hmm 2008 fodda me thinks.. we're all from the same mould.. appart from those who don't ride enough. This site is for those who ride and appreciate how it all began.

That all..

Ta

Pete

perry":1irnee1l said:
O bama , he came and he gave with out taking O bama , but he sent me away O bama :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OK. No more politics. I know it's probably the same everywhere. My bad.

New website....

almostretrobikesbutnotreallyanythinggoes.com ;)

Having hovered around this site for getting on for a year now, and at the risk of being simplistic I think the Retrobike "hobby" can be enjoyed at many different levels, from the purist, to those lke me who just find it fun! The site reflects this at the moment.

I'd actually hate to lose any of it, I'm not the slightest bit technical or purist but it's interesting to learn about the detail put into some people's builds and helps build technical know how for relative newbies like me. Divsions over dates though are completely lost on me!

I'm still rather bemused with myself that I've developed an interest in the first place so I also find some of the recent posts about people's Retrobike journeys very amusing. These posts add character and interest to the site in my view and I like finding out about the people behind the posts. It's the people who make it the diverse site it is!

Like Cass, I too am pretty new around here and am consatantly blown away by the attention to detail, dedication and the standard acheived on some of the builds I see on RetroBike. I came here out of curiosity, looking to build something different and WhOOp what a find, RetroBike rocks for all the right reasons. Coming from a background of thin tires with some fun on fat one's thrown in, this sites been a HoLy education- back to old school.

We all appreciate bikes wether retro or modern and love riding them..YeaH!!
So just lets get on with that!

Surely nothing's too bad with a bit of change?????
I reckon there's quite a few other bike sites well jealous of the cool, hip, Friendly and individual members along with their bikes which make up RetroBike, as well as what it stands for.

I'm hungry, off to eat!
pieman

p.s Need a stocking filler this christmas??

This is a funny hread but there is one thing to bear in mind. Every year that passes another bike fom a newer year will become retro so i think John is right keeping an open mind.

I like the idea of newer bikes being featured but at the end of the day Retro is nostalgia and i think its whats in our hearts and to the younger riders retro to them is different to retro to the older lot.

I think we should all embrace this and keep an open mind. :D

Another new member here and it seems that I arrived at an interesting time.

I agree with what a lot of people have already said. I admire and am in awe at some of the rides out there and the attention to detail in bringing these amazing bikes back to life in as true to original form as possible. But I like some of the modern twists that people have given the bikes they own.

Personally, I have only ever had two bikes. A 95 Kona Hahanna and 06 Kona Dawg. The Hahanna was bought with paper round money saved up over a few years. It was my pride and joy, but over the years it was upgraded and modified. I was well aware that it was the bottom of the rung for Kona's but I still loved it dearly. I loved the feedback from the frame, the way I could fling it around most trails, but I soon became tired of being left behind by my friends on their FS bikes on the down hills. I bit the bullet and picked up the Dawg which I now love to pieces and gave me a new love for riding.

I still own the Hahanna but the only original parts are the frame, front mech and front wheel. Everything else has been changed and upgraded over the years.

In the next few weeks I'm going to give the old girl a new lease of life. Should I scour the internet and ebay for 95 spec Alivio and Acera-X parts to get it back to its original spec and turn it into a museum piece. Or should I bring it up to date with a "neo-retro" build? I'm opting for the latter with Carbon Forks, Single Speed and Disc Brakes - similiar (but not as cool, or indeed as retro) as the 7 day Hei Hei build that was on here recently...

What I'm trying to say is, I love my old bike. I love the fact that it has lasted this long and I love the fact that it is going to have a new lease of life. Its Retro to me. I could easily have dumped it and bought a newer frame. But by recycling (pun intended) the Hahanna, isnt that more in line with the Retrobike way of thinking, even if it isnt being brought back to original? To me that is more what this site is about and if I am right, then it is far from being dead. Quite the opposite as without it, the Hahanna would be sitting in a corner of the shed gathering dust rather than live to ride another day!

My dilemma would be what section to post it in though - its a 95 frame with 2008 parts??? I'm afraid to post it anywhere !!

Back