GT Psyclone 1994 16 inch - very slow build

IMG_7771.jpeg IMG_7772.jpeg I’ve slowly gathered a few parts for this but I’m unsure of direction.

The typical way would be to use M900 and a Mag21. If I go this route I feel it needs to have silver parts (stem/bars/post/headset)

Or the alternative is to go with a mix of XT M737 and middleburn with some rigid forks. with black components.

Any thoughts ?

I do have a nice shiny silver pair of Araya wheels with m900 hubs which would set the shiny theme off well.

You did well with the fork.
And the blue frame is just lovely.
I would just get it built with one pack, then enjoy for a while and as long as you want.
Then rebuild with another pack.
Hence, the first pack doesnt really matter, and often it makes sense to deliberately build it a bit awkward the first time.
I enjoy an awkward bike, because it of the inherent potential for improvement for the next build.

The fork was picked up last year for £35 on eBay. Refurbed locally and now waiting for either this psyclone or my RTS1 project.

My thoughts- since you asked. Those forks belong on the RST1. I also prefer my higher quality steal frames to be rigid. I like to feel the difference in compliance and ride. Plus I believe black will help showcase th frame vs. Silver I think would take the attention away.

I’d like to build it rigid … but I’m struggling to think of a suitable fork other than a Bologna lite.

It needs to be ahead and I don’t think pace looks correct. Obviously can’t be a P2.

A colour matched Bologna or gloss black could be an option for sure.

Only just seen this!

Lovely, lovely frame with True Temper and fillet brazed. I think it would look better with rigid GT fork, but that's because I only finally owned a bike with front suspension in 2014! 🤣

I also note this in your original post:
Unluckily my 17 month old daughter also decided to have a little run following me and took a tumble. Lots of tears and me and her mum trying to calm her down - whilst still panicking that the Psyclone would sell - or advert be pulled.

Then my mrs spoke those immortal words “ just go and get the bike and I’ll …..”
Reminds me of just how understanding our wives/partners and family are supporting us with this "bizarre" hobby in their eyes... and WHY do you need another bike? WHY is this different to the others? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Only just seen this!

Lovely, lovely frame with True Temper and fillet brazed. I think it would look better with rigid GT fork, but that's because I only finally owned a bike with front suspension in 2014! 🤣

I also note this in your original post:

Reminds me of just how understanding our wives/partners and family are supporting us with this "bizarre" hobby in their eyes... and WHY do you need another bike? WHY is this different to the others? 🤣🤣🤣
There's a rule in our house.... I don't ask about cost or number of shoes and handbags....I don't get asked about cost or number of bikes.... this works well for both parties ;) :D

Back