GT Frame sizes

the great roberto

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Both my GT's are 16" frames, and I'm 5'11"

The Karakoram I've had from new, so don't know any better,so when I bought the Zaskar, I bought a 16" as well.

I've not had the opertunity to try an 18" so don't know if that would be a more suitable size or not.

I'm not going to change either so all a bit irrelivant, but what size frames do others ride, and what is your height ?

6'3" with 35" inside leg, I usually ride 21" or 22", though because I have a short back I like a short tube tube (<23") and tall head tube so my bikes end up looking like this :shock:

spa0480mv3.jpg

I am 6', and ride an 18" GT and 19" Specialized.

At 5' 11", I'd say you'd be comfier on an 18" GT.

Attachments

• Zaskar LE.JPG
    Zaskar LE.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 9,339
  • Stumpjumper.JPG
    Stumpjumper.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 9,340
I had a 16" Zaskar in 95 and rode it for years till i sold it a few years back. I'm 6 ft tall with long arms and never had a problem on a 16".
I have just recently got a 97 zask which is a 18" but not got it built yet so not sure how it will ride. My riding style has changed over the years and is not as extreme as it was, so the 18" should be great.

I'm 6'2" and have two GT's, both 18" (medium) which I find is just right for my style of riding which does tend to be high seat and low bars - it makes me look fast too! I tend to find that more conventional frames need to be larger to be comfortable.

I'm 6'3" and for years rode a 21" clockwork/20" Stumy/bloody large muddyfox
My latest bike is 18"[raleigh] imho fits better,I'm hoping the 18" lts will fit just as well.
On MTB's cos they can go offroad i dont think you need such a large frame as it maybe limits 'chuckability'
Roadie bike -yes, large well fitting frame
Mountain bike-no,small and manoeuvrable

6ft 1-2 ish and prefer 18" and 19" MTBs Could ride bigger frames but don't fancy it. small and chuckable and clearance ;)

latest modern is a compact 13" frame!

Im 5ft 9" and stumpy 29" inside legs, I ride 18" Zaskar & RTS :D

I'm 5'8 and ride an 18 Xizang, I might be better now on a 16 as I can't throw it around like I used to.

It's because GT insist on using the traditional method to describe their frame sizes that confuses me. Their 16" is that because it is 16" from BB to where the top tube and seat tube cross. If they measured from the top of the seat tube to BB then a 16" becomes an 18.5".
Hence why my 16" GT's are bigger frames than my 17" Specialized. :?

Is a 16" GT a small or medium.Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy riding the two 16" framed GT's

Back