GT Backwoods help please?

BigBadgers2001

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
I have just purchased a nice old GT Backwoods frame from the mid to late 1990's. Is their anyway to date it accurately form the serial number under the bottom bracket? as I would love to restore it to its original spec with the correct decals ect.
Kennethnicholson@hotmail.com

My Brother has a Backwoods from about 2001. He got no end of stick from us when he first got it for riding a bike called 'backwards' and when he fitted a Magura Asgard or 'Arseguard' as it became known he just gave up defending himself! ;)

Pictures

Pickle said:
Pop some pics up please!

I have none at the moment. It has the 7005 Alu mark on the inside and a serial number on the BB. It's 18 inch and has a butted braced section on the underside of the bottom tube.

Re: gt

nobby the sheep said:
kenny its a 97 backwards it was ball burnished finish and the decals were yellow and red

Cheers Nobby. Just wanna find out more. May have been made 96 but sold 97. I also wanna find out if it used the corner cut or the bold outline logos and what it says on the smaller stickers on the low end of the seat tube and on the top tube near the seat tube joint.
See lad I am really doing my research on this baby. Sadly it wont be shiny silver due to the removal of the dodgy spray job, so I also want to find what other colours would be correct fo this year model.
You would think that an Anorak like me would be able to just type the serial number into a database on the web and hey presto, all the answers. I can't even find an email addy for GT.

Unocogero and taking the piddle.

unocogero said:
My Brother has a Backwoods from about 2001. He got no end of stick from us when he first got it for riding a bike called 'backwards' and when he fitted a Magura Asgard or 'Arseguard' as it became known he just gave up defending himself! ;)

Poor poor boy. Big bruvs mates hacking on him like that. If you know me as mate Nobby does my love, you would not be so inclined to mock me like that. Only those close to my inner circle get away with it. (Thanks Nobby for the dead arm by the way). Most people are wary of me chum. Lol.

As far as being taken the piddle out of, sod it, I am backwards so I don't care. Lol.
Must get some gloves as my knuckles are sore from dragging on the floor. Gotta go now as the wife has cooked me up a whole pot of road kill raccoon and some chitlins. Yuk ahuk yuk!!!

Just a little thing I remember! I had a GT Backwoods frame with red and yellow decals (Judy red and Judy yellow) new, about mid 90's through the lbs I worked at. That particular year GT had a shortage of Backwoods frames so temporarily they used the previous years Zaskar frame as they had a lot left!! If you look on your dropout on the inside of the non drive side, and it says 6061, then you have a Zaskar!!
I removed the Backwoods stickers fitted judy yellow Velocity deep v rims, snowflaked spokes! Shimano DX brakes (Obviously judy red!) With yellow shimano outer cable!! I shall upload a pic if I can find it!!

Back