Ground Control seatpost - I'm furious - Help!

If it's proper stuck you can always cut it out:

CIMG0766.jpg

This took several hours of graft/swearing, although it was my fault for not greasing the post and leaving it there for 10 years. Hope you find an easier solution!

thet bike was bought on ebay a while , then buyer registered on here and tried to sell it .

the put it back on ebay .

he must have only as couple of posts .

I'm not sure if this would work, but if the seatpost and frame are of different materials, which have different thermal properties, you could try freezing it (as opposed to heating which might distort the frame, unless it was gentle maybe?) and seeing if that helps. If the seatpost contracted more than the frame.

or maybe give it some more soaking and then clamp the frame tight somehow, then drill a hole through the seatpost put in a nice long bar and put that under pressure trying to twist it round in the frame, and leave it overnight, the sustained force could loosen it.

2alexcoo":2uawoneh said:
If it's proper stuck you can always cut it out:

This took several hours of graft/swearing, although it was my fault for not greasing the post and leaving it there for 10 years. Hope you find an easier solution!

Daft question time :oops:

So....you have cut the seatpost in half, so the top section that is out of the frame is removed.

Then, the bit that is in the frame, how and where have you cut that to get it out?

drill a hole through the seatpost put in a nice long bar and put that under pressure trying to twist it round in the frame, and leave it overnight, the sustained force could loosen it.

...and wake up in the middle of the night with a massive 'crack!' - WTF was that??!!! :shock: :LOL:

orange71":7spzyi8h said:
drill a hole through the seatpost put in a nice long bar and put that under pressure trying to twist it round in the frame, and leave it overnight, the sustained force could loosen it.

...and wake up in the middle of the night with a massive 'crack!' - WTF was that??!!! :shock: :LOL:

:LOL: true, but you dont have to put much pressure on it. Gentle and sustained will do just as much as loads and quick. The bike survives being ridden, say 14stone of person bouncing up and down on it, I should think it would take a few pounds pressure twisting the seat post?

Did the seller even know the post was seized in the frame?

If im buying anthing used i would inspect it all first before coughing up my hard earned dough, that way if im not happy, I walk.

Different situation if you had bought it from a member here and it was posted to you and they never "disclosed" if had faults.

I do appreciate you are miffed that its seized , but i wouldnt blame the seller.

Just my 2p

Gc

then use a saw blade and cut down the inside of the seatpost, long annoying job i'm afraid but it doe s the least damage to the frame itself.

there is a sheldon link someone has posted before that tells you what to do in what order for removing posts. start with the easiest then gradually getting more severe as the post refuses to move. sometimes people go for the hard option straight away and spend ages sawing when a bit of brute force might have done it.

good luck buddy. :)

edit--you guys got in before me! my post wa supposed to answer pickles last one but i'm a slow typer!!

Then, the bit that is in the frame, how and where have you cut that to get it out?

a long hacksaw blade down the tube lengthwise - really laborious but will work in the end. I have done it. :?

Back